Data is not pulling from the site

colleen1980

Hi: When i run the same code with minor changes in VB it works fine
but when i run in ASP it runs but it not pulling any information from
the web site. Needs help

Thanks,
Anna.

ASP CODE

Const ForAppend = 8
Dim objFSO: Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim DBConn,rs,social,vpath,vfile,xLine
Dim WShell
Set WShell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
vPath = WShell.SpecialFolders("MyDocuments") & "\"
vFile = vPath & "Deceased-Information-"
vFile = vFile & year(now) & month(now) & day(now) & "-"
vFile = vFile & hour(now) & minute(now) & second(now) & ".html"
Set DBConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DBConn.Open "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Data
Source=dec1"
sSQL = "select name1,ssn1 from dbtr where status_code=450"
Set rs = DBConn.Execute(sSQL)
Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(vfile, ForAppend, True)
Do While Not rs.EOF
social = rs.Fields("ssn1")
'objFile.WriteLine PostURL("http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/
ssdi.cgi", social)
response.write(rs.Fields("ssn1"))
response.write("<br>")
rs.moveNext
loop

Function PostURL(sURL, aPostData)
Dim XmlHTTP

Set XmlHTTP = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP")
With XmlHTTP
.Open "POST", sURL, False
.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", "application/ x-www-form-
urlencoded"
.Send aPostData
If .Status = 200 Then
PostURL = .responseText
Else
PostURL = "Error!"
End If
End with
Set XmlHTTP = Nothing

End Function

VB PROGRAM
Private Sub deceasedProcess()
Dim social As String, WShell As Object, vpath As String, vfile
Set WShell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
vpath = WShell.SpecialFolders("MyDocuments") & "\"
vfile = vpath & "Deceased-Information-" & Format$(Now, "yyyymmdd-
hhmmss") & ".html"

Dim ssnFile As String, xLine
ssnFile = "C:\ssn.txt"
Open ssnFile For Input As #2
Do While Not EOF(2)
Line Input #2, xLine
social = Trim(xLine)
Open vfile For Append As #1
Print #1, PostURL("http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi", "ssn="
& social)
Close #1

Loop
Close #2
Set WShell = Nothing

End Sub

ssn.txt

ThatsIT.net.au

--
Dim Alan as ThatsIT.net.au.Staffmember
Alan.signature = "Thank You"

Hi: When i run the same code with minor changes in VB it works fine
but when i run in ASP it runs but it not pulling any information from
the web site. Needs help

Thanks,
Anna.

ASP CODE

Const ForAppend = 8
Dim objFSO: Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

try Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
not
CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Dim DBConn,rs,social,vpath,vfile,xLine
Dim WShell
Set WShell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
vPath = WShell.SpecialFolders("MyDocuments") & "\"

you are assuminb that the web server has its own mydocuments folder.

Are you trying to obtain my documents on the server or the client?

if its the client then you need to run the script client side

vFile = vPath & "Deceased-Information-"
vFile = vFile & year(now) & month(now) & day(now) & "-"
vFile = vFile & hour(now) & minute(now) & second(now) & ".html"
Set DBConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

Server.CreateObject

script between the <% %> signs is asp server script, it can contact the
resources on the server where it is hosted.

Script inside script tags like this <script></script> can contact resources
on the clients computer.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

ThatsIT.net.au said:
try Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
not
CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Why? That's neither relevant nor necessary.
you are assuminb that the web server has its own mydocuments folder.

Are you trying to obtain my documents on the server or the client?

if its the client then you need to run the script client side
True

Server.CreateObject

Again. Neither relevant nor necessary
script between the <% %> signs is asp server script, it can contact
the resources on the server where it is hosted.

Script inside script tags like this <script></script> can contact
resources on the clients computer.

Maybe. If the page is an hta page, or the website is in the Trusted security
zone, then what you are saying is correct.

ThatsIT.net.au

--

Bob Barrows said:
Why? That's neither relevant nor necessary.

You are probably right, but I know there are some objects you must use it
on, also if you are using transactions and if you want a event log entry on
error. Rather than test what ojects need it, i always use it

Again. Neither relevant nor necessary

Maybe. If the page is an hta page, or the website is in the Trusted
security zone, then what you are saying is correct.

Agreed, but I think that is just what colleen is trying to do, seeing the
the vb app she showed seems to access only the client

Anthony Jones

ThatsIT.net.au said:
--
Dim Alan as ThatsIT.net.au.Staffmember
Alan.signature = "Thank You"
Response.Write Alan.signature.toString()

You are probably right, but I know there are some objects you must use it
on,

Oh that's interesting. Which ones?

ThatsIT.net.au

--

Anthony Jones said:
Oh that's interesting. Which ones?

I don't remember, that why I always use it.
wait I have found the article where I read it
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/components/should-i-use-createobject-or-server-createobject.html

also it points out if you are using JavaScript you must use
server.createobject
I don't use JavaScript and I don't use any third party objects I can think
of either.

like I said I use it just in case, although the article also points out a
overhead, I have never found it to be a problem.

Anthony Jones

ThatsIT.net.au said:
--
Dim Alan as ThatsIT.net.au.Staffmember
Alan.signature = "Thank You"
Response.Write Alan.signature.toString()

I don't remember, that why I always use it.
wait I have found the article where I read it
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/components/should-i-use-createobject-or-server-createobject.html

also it points out if you are using JavaScript you must use
server.createobject
I don't use JavaScript and I don't use any third party objects I can think
of either.

like I said I use it just in case, although the article also points out a
overhead, I have never found it to be a problem.

That's very interesting. I had thought that as of IIS5 Server.CreateObject
and CreateObject were functionally the same.

With JScript you can't use CreateObject because it doesn't exist. It's
equivalent 'new ActiveXObject()' will work but with the same limitations as
VBscripts CreateObject does.

ThatsIT.net.au

Anthony Jones said:
That's very interesting. I had thought that as of IIS5
Server.CreateObject
and CreateObject were functionally the same.

With JScript you can't use CreateObject because it doesn't exist. It's
equivalent 'new ActiveXObject()' will work but with the same limitations
as
VBscripts CreateObject does.

Yes of cause, silly me.