DateTime and Thread::Running conflict

skendric

how do i trouble-shoot this? conceptually, how can one module
(Thread::Running) hammer Perl's ability to poke through the file
system?

guru> cat test
#!/usr/bin/perl
use DateTime;
use Thread::Running;
my $dt = DateTime->now( time_zone => 'local' );
guru>./test
Could not find file for 'DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Unix' at /usr/lib/
perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/load.pm line 256.
guru>

gur
u> cat test
#!/usr/bin/perl
use DateTime;
#use Thread::Running;
$dt = DateTime->now( time_zone => 'local' );
guru> ./test
guru>

guru> pwd
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/DateTime/TimeZone/Local
guru> l Unix.pm
-r--r--r-- 1 skendric users 7239 Nov 7 20:32 Unix.pm
guru>

--sk

stuart kendrick
fhcrc

xhoster

how do i trouble-shoot this? conceptually, how can one module
(Thread::Running) hammer Perl's ability to poke through the file
system?

It looks to me like the problem is that Thread::Running invokes "use load",
which causes module loading to be delayed until a function from that module
is actually used. Part of this delay is (apparently) that %INC doesn't get
updated when the "use" is compiled.

While the DateTime module expects to load all of it's modules up front, and
based on that it inspects %INC to see if a module has already been loaded.
Or something like that.

These two behaviors are incompatible. I don't know why either module does
either of these rather weird (to me) things. I could be wrong in the
details of the above, it is just my first impression.

guru> cat test
#!/usr/bin/perl
use DateTime;
use Thread::Running;

To reproduce your problem, it is sufficient to have "use load;" rather
than "use Thread::Running".

Sorry, I don't have a solution, but I hope I've helped narrow down where
to look.

Xho

this fact.