DB Locks on Srv W2k3

Rick Csucsai

I have a very simple database call running on a W2K3 server. I moved it over
from a W2K box. However, when it is run on the 2K3 server, it leaves a lock
on. It is an ASP page and not and ASPX page. It works perfect on the W2K
box. Anyone else have this probelm or better yet a cure for this problem? I
do not have the time to convert it to ASP.NET yet. The ODBC driver is a bit
different. One is V 4.00.6205 dated 3/2003 the one on the W2K box is version
4.00.6200 dated 6/2003.

Rick Csucsai

Ya, I switched it to OLEDB first thing. That wasn't my prob.

After 6 or so hours of digging and pulling my hair out, I finally realized
that the user account had access to create and manipulate files in the
directory where the database resided, they just didn't have the right to
delete any files in the containing folder......

ugggg....amazing how when you are so used to not worrying about the minor
issues they will find there way back to you just to remind you that they
need to be paid attention to. 7 years in ASP and I still let something that
simple kick my butt.....just amazing

Another lesson learned in the pay attention to the new permission in w2k3
experience.

Rick Csucsai

Boy are you in luck. Just ran into the same thing. Beat myself up over it
only to be sent back to old school. It is a permissions problem on the
folder which contains the database. Forget all this hanoo nanoo about
switching to jet and such as it isn't your problem. To test, on the folder
that contains the database, give everyone full control. The problem is the
permission is ok on the DB itself but you don't have delete permission for
the folder that contains it.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Rick said:
Ya, I switched it to OLEDB first thing. That wasn't my prob.

Switching to OLEDB fixed other problems. Do not revert to ODBC. Do A Google
if you are interested in why we always recommend switching to OLEDB even
when it has nothing to do with the user's problem.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Rick said:
Boy are you in luck.

Who? You're replying to your own thread.
Just ran into the same thing. Beat myself up
over it only to be sent back to old school. It is a permissions
problem on the folder which contains the database.
Forget all this
hanoo nanoo about switching to jet and such as it isn't your problem.

As I said in my previous message, there are other reasons for switching to
OLEDB, even when it has nothing to do with the problem at hand: it will
prevent other problems from coming up. Use Google if interested.
To test, on the folder that contains the database, give everyone full
control. The problem is the permission is ok on the DB itself but you
don't have delete permission for the folder that contains it.

I realize that you said "To test". However you should make clear that full
permissions are not needed, and moreover, are probably a bad idea. All that
is needed is Change permissions (read/write)

Bob Barrows