debugging ignored exceptions at cleanup

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michele Simionato, Jan 12, 2009.

  1. In some conditions (typically with threads, __del__ methods, etc) the
    cleanup mechanism of Python gets in trouble and some exceptions are
    not raised but just printed on stderr.
    I have an application using Paste and when I run the tests I get some
    annoying
    ignored exceptions during cleanup. Running the code with the -v option
    I get things
    like that:

    <snip lots of other stuff>
    # cleanup[2] sqlalchemy.util
    # cleanup[2] sqlalchemy.sql.expression
    # cleanup[2] symbol
    # cleanup[2] urllib2
    # cleanup[2] sqlalchemy.orm.query
    # cleanup[2] smweb.config
    # cleanup[2] formencode
    # cleanup[2] smweb.config.environment
    Exception exceptions.TypeError: "'NoneType' object is not callable" in
    <function <lambda> at 0x26861b8> ignored
    Exception exceptions.TypeError: "'NoneType' object is not callable" in
    <function <lambda> at 0x2598578> ignored
    # cleanup[2] dbhash
    # cleanup[2] xmlrpclib
    # cleanup[2] mako.pygen
    # cleanup[2] time
    # cleanup[2] paste.util.import_string
    # cleanup sys
    # cleanup __builtin__
    # cleanup ints: 5096 unfreed ints in 145 out of 171 blocks
    # cleanup floats: 43 unfreed floats in 3 out of 4 blocks

    As you see, the exceptions happen during the cleanup of
    smweb.config.environment,
    which the part of code I wrote, but which has no obvious problems and
    imports
    *lots* of other stuff. Is there some way to hook in the cleanup
    mechanism, start
    a pdb and see really what is happening? I tried to trace the execution
    flow with the
    trace module but without success. There is so much code there that I
    am unable
    to track down the source of the problem. I suspect there is some
    __del__ method
    somewhere that tries to call a function which has been set to None by
    the cleanup
    mechanism, possibly from another thread, but I cannot find it. How am
    I supposed to
    debug such things?

    Michele Simionato, Jan 12, 2009

  2. You aren't I guess. AFAIK, you can't do anything about this - if there
    is really some cleanup todo, it should be done before exiting the program.

    I for once know that the TurboMail lib has had similar problems - and
    the "fix" was to check the used names in __del__ before trying to invoke
    anything on them. Even *that* might not help in a multi-threaded
    environment though, nobody can guarantee that between the check and the
    usage of a name the underlying object isn't GCed.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Jan 12, 2009