Deploying service tier resources and referencing their filepath

Richard Collette

I have a web application which references a service tier class
library/assembly. The service tier assembly takes a domain object,
serializes it to xml and then performs a translation to generate HTML. To do
so, the service class utilizes a .xslt file.

1. How do I get the service tier .xslt file to be included in the web
application build without making the .xlst file an embedded resource? When
debugging, the .xslt file is not copied to the web application bin folder (or
any other web related folder) despite trying various settings such as
content/resource and copy always.
2. Once that is accomplished, how do I get XslCompiledTransform to load the
..xlst file without using MapPath. Since this is a service tier library, it
should not have a dependency on the hosting model or any aspect of the tier
it is running in. I prefer not to have to place a full physical path in
the settings file.

I realize I can put the .xslt file in App_Data and pass a filepath string
into the service class to tell it where to load the .xslt file. However,
that takes an implementation detail out of the service tier and puts it in
the service's client which it should not.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Rich