Dialog on second screen does not appear

Peter Rank

Hi,

I have a Java application that runs on computers with two screens on
Windows XP.
Normally, the application runs on the second screen and when the user
presses a button, a dialog appears.

Now the machines has changed but I think the old windows profile of
the users has been copied.
When logged on with one user, the dialog now appears on the second
screen, when logged on on the same machine with another windows user,
the dialog does not appear and the application freezes.

Now I think, that in the profile windows will remember some dialog
positions or something like that.
Maybe this is a windows question but I post it to a java-forum because
it's possibly Java that remembers some window-positions in the windows
profile. I run Java Sun JDK 1.6.0_02.

Does anyone know something about such a problem and how to solve this?

Thanks
Peter

Jeff Higgins

Peter said:
[...]

You don't say what Java application you have.
Is it an application you created? If not can
you ask the creator of the application for help?

Peter Rank

Yes, it's a SWING application written by me.
I do not save the positions of the applications sub-windows in any
way.

The strange thing is, that ist depends on the windows user weather the
dialog appears on the second screen or not.
When moving the application to the first screen everything works fine.

Andreas Leitgeb

Peter Rank said:
When logged on with one user, the dialog now appears on the second
screen, when logged on on the same machine with another windows user,
the dialog does not appear and the application freezes.

Were both of these two users already using that app before the
machine change?

Anyway, if an app freezes, when a dialog is expected to show up, then
I'd guess that quite likely the dialog came up off-screen.

I'm not much into windows, but when the (invisible) dialog is currently
active, then you can type Alt+spacebar, and probably at some border of
the screen the menu will show up, and there you select "move"...
This of course assumes that the dialog was indeed just off-screen.

PS: is the dialog that's supposed to appear a modal one?

Jeff Higgins

Peter said:
Yes, it's a SWING application written by me.
I do not save the positions of the applications sub-windows in any
way.

The strange thing is, that ist depends on the windows user weather the
dialog appears on the second screen or not.
When moving the application to the first screen everything works fine.

> When logged on with one user, the dialog now appears on the second
> screen, when logged on on the same machine with another windows user,
> the dialog does not appear and the application freezes.

A modal dialog drawn off screen?
Different user - different GraphicsConfiguration?

Lew

Peter said:
I run Java Sun JDK 1.6.0_02.

This doesn't answer your question, but your Java 6 is old, missing many
patches. You should keep your minor version (currently _17) up to date; those
patches are bug and security fixes (and timezone updates), and there's no good
reason to ignore them for that long.