disable enter within form

windandwaves

Hi Folk

I have a form with the following structure:

<form onsubmit="getsearchdata();">
lots of input boxes here
<input type="submit" name="submit" onsubmit="getsearchdata();">
</form>

In Opera, whenever someone presses the <enter> button, the form is
submitted and the onsubmit does not event get any attention. When the
submit button is clicked, it obviously works....

How can I change this?

TIA

windandwaves

Hi Folk

I have a form with the following structure:

<form onsubmit="getsearchdata();">
lots of input boxes here
<input type="submit" name="submit" onsubmit="getsearchdata();">
</form>

In Opera, whenever someone presses the <enter> button, the form is
submitted and the onsubmit does not event get any attention. When the
submit button is clicked, it obviously works....

How can I change this?

TIA

I think I solved it by changing it as follows:

<form onsubmit="return !getsearchdata();">
lots of input boxes here
<input type="submit" name="submit" onsubmit="return !
getsearchdata();">
</form>

Ta

Nicolaas

Randy Webb

windandwaves said the following on 2/25/2007 5:27 PM:

I think I solved it by changing it as follows:

<form onsubmit="return !getsearchdata();">

Either way, you must return a value for it to make any difference of
whether the form gets submitted or not. Whether it is !getsearchdata()
or getsearchdata() depending on what the function returns.
lots of input boxes here
<input type="submit" name="submit" onsubmit="return !
getsearchdata();">

There is no onsubmit handler for a submit button. The onsubmit here is
wasteful and unneeded.