DISLIN or gnuplot.py

Richard

I am going to need to plot some data and formula results from Python. A
few years ago I used gnuplot (not from Python) and was wondering which
Python plotting module I should use (learn)?

I have seen DISLIN mentioned on "onlamp.com" and see that gnuplot has a
python module wrapper.

Any suggestions on Python plotting modules? (DISLIN or gnuplot.py or ????)

Thanks

chain_lube

Richard said:
I am going to need to plot some data and formula results from Python. A
few years ago I used gnuplot (not from Python) and was wondering which
Python plotting module I should use (learn)?

I have seen DISLIN mentioned on "onlamp.com" and see that gnuplot has a
python module wrapper.

Any suggestions on Python plotting modules? (DISLIN or gnuplot.py or ????)

You should use the tool you prefer.

Personally I would use DISLIN over gnuplot any time. Heck, I would
(and I do) use Scheme (my DISLIN binding to Bigloo) over Python any
time.

You did not unveil in which circumstances you are going to use you
plots. If it is important for you: I use my created plots under
Bigloo/DISLIN in my papers for publication.

Fensterbrett

John Hunter

Richard> I am going to need to plot some data and formula results
Richard> from Python. A few years ago I used gnuplot (not from
Richard> Python) and was wondering which Python plotting module I
Richard> should use (learn)?

Richard> I have seen DISLIN mentioned on "onlamp.com" and see that
Richard> gnuplot has a python module wrapper.

Richard> Any suggestions on Python plotting modules? (DISLIN or
Richard> gnuplot.py or ????)

I suggest looking at matplotlib. Although it is not as mature as
DISLIN and gnuplot, it is progressing rapidly and supports most 2D
plotting needs, with the remaining gaps closing quickly (see
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html for a quick
snapshot of capabilities).

It has several advantages over these old workhorses

-- written in python for python, so it is easier for users to become
developers. This makes it possible, for example, to write a
custom tick locator or formatter by extending one of the base
python classes.

-- supports many nice features that older packages do not:
antialiasing, alpha channel, freetype fonts, sophisticated
cross-platform font finding.

-- embeddable in an GUI application: gtk, wx, tkinter, fltk. More
to come.

-- mathematical text with "TeX" style expressions; mathtext and
plain text looks the same in the GUI, image and postscript
backends because we embed truetype fonts in postscript.

It is also actively developed and supported by yours truly and others.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net

JDH

Richard

Richard> I am going to need to plot some data and formula results
Richard> from Python.

I suggest looking at matplotlib. Although it is not as mature as
DISLIN and gnuplot, it is progressing rapidly and supports most 2D
plotting needs, with the remaining gaps closing quickly (see
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html for a quick
snapshot of capabilities).

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net

JDH

Thank you for the reply.

It looks like matplotlib will handle my immediate plotting from
Python needs.

The 'goals' page on the matplotlib web site state
that there has been some 'proof-of-concept' work completed on
3-d visualization. Any estimate on when there might be some
3-d plotting support?

Richard

Fernando Perez

Richard said:
Thank you for the reply.

It looks like matplotlib will handle my immediate plotting from
Python needs.

The 'goals' page on the matplotlib web site state
that there has been some 'proof-of-concept' work completed on
3-d visualization. Any estimate on when there might be some
3-d plotting support?

See http://mayavi.sourceforge.net

In my view, matplotlib for 2d and mayavi for 3d plotting and complex data
visualization problems, make a very powerful combination for scientific
computing work.

Best,

Michele Simionato

Richard said:
I am going to need to plot some data and formula results from Python. A
few years ago I used gnuplot (not from Python) and was wondering which
Python plotting module I should use (learn)?

I have seen DISLIN mentioned on "onlamp.com" and see that gnuplot has a
python module wrapper.

Any suggestions on Python plotting modules? (DISLIN or gnuplot.py or ????)

Thanks

Dunno about DISLIN; I have found easier to generate gnuplot code from
Python
than using gnuplot.py (since I already knew the gnuplot language). But
maybe it is just me ;)

Michele Simionato