Do rspec, hpricot, and cucumber come with Ruby?

Wolfram Volpi

Hello. My name is wolfv and I am new to Ruby. I appreciate your
answers to the following three questions.

1) Do the rspec, hpricot, and cucumber packages come with Ruby? They
are not listed in
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/
or
http://www.ruby-doc.org/ruby-1.9/index.html > Files

2) Does that mean I will need to download the files from RubyGems?

3) http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2010/08/18/ruby-1-9-2-is-released/
says "Ruby 1.9.2 passes over 99% of RubySpec." What does "passes over"
mean?

Thank you,
wolfv

Ryan Davis

Hello. My name is wolfv and I am new to Ruby. I appreciate your
answers to the following three questions.

1) Do the rspec, hpricot, and cucumber packages come with Ruby? They
are not listed in
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/
or
http://www.ruby-doc.org/ruby-1.9/index.html > Files
no

2) Does that mean I will need to download the files from RubyGems?
yes

3) http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2010/08/18/ruby-1-9-2-is-released/
says "Ruby 1.9.2 passes over 99% of RubySpec." What does "passes over"
mean?

over in this context means greater than:

passes > 99% of [the tests]

or

passes 99+% of [the tests]

David Masover

Hello. My name is wolfv and I am new to Ruby. I appreciate your
answers to the following three questions.

1) Do the rspec, hpricot, and cucumber packages come with Ruby?

No. However, Rubygems does come with recent versions of Ruby.
2) Does that mean I will need to download the files from RubyGems?

Sort of, if by "download" you mean typing this:

gem install rspec hpricot cucumber

If you're on a recent Linux or OS X, you may have to put 'sudo' in front of
that command like so:

sudo gem install rspec hpricot cucumber

This is worth doing anyway. You never know when some tiny gem someone made is
going to be useful to you, and it's nice to be able to run only one command to
update all installed gems:

sudo gem update

You may also want to look into Bundler, which new Rails projects use.
3) http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2010/08/18/ruby-1-9-2-is-released/
says "Ruby 1.9.2 passes over 99% of RubySpec." What does "passes over"
mean?

The "over" is modifying the 99%. In other words, it passes 99.9% or something
like that.

RubySpec, by the way, has little to do with RSpec. It's an attempt to write a
test suite for testing Ruby implementations themselves, so that things like
JRuby and IronRuby can be measured against this, not just "Does it work the
way the C Ruby (MRI) does?"