Drop down menus and frames

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Patrick Murray, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. I am confused here. I am trying to build a page with frames where a
    click on the "submit" botton connected to a drop down menu will bring a
    corresponding page in the frame below it. Here is the HTML code for the
    drop-down frame:
    <BODY>

    <P><FONT face="Balloon" size="5">There are four main areas of support-
    general,
    Hardware, software and network. </FONT></P>
    <FORM method="POST">
    <P><SELECT size="1" name="D1">
    <OPTION value="//general.html">General</OPTION>
    <OPTION value="//hardware.html">Hardware</OPTION>
    <OPTION value="//software.html">Software</OPTION>
    <OPTION value="//network.html">Network</OPTION>
    <OPTION selected>Choose one for links in that genre</OPTION>
    </SELECT><INPUT type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"></P>
    </FORM>

    </BODY>

    All files are on the same drive. What am I doing wrong?

    TIA

    Patrick Murray, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Oh dear
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
    Oh dear. http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html
    Where is the action attribute?
    Using frames, using a select element as a menu, and not including any code
    whatsoever to handle the form submission.

    David Dorward, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Patrick Murray

    Mitja Guest

    A lot; the concept itself is wrong. If you search for what you want on
    Google, I'm sure you will find pre-made examples out there waiting for you.
    But they all involve javascript, so using a simple list of links (maybe in
    combination with some gracefully degradable DHTML, i.e. combination of HTML
    and javascript) is by far more recommended.
    Mitja

    Mitja, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Quoth the raven named Patrick Murray:
    I'll agree with the confusion. Why the frames? Bad Idea.
    Additionally:

    I've never seen the double-slash used before. If the other pages are
    in the same directory, use no slashes.

    I do not have a "Balloon" font. What is my browser suppose to show?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Patrick Murray

    Hywel Guest

    For starters, you don't have a form handler. Without that, nothing's
    going to happen. Your document may just submit to itself, or do
    nothing.

    Hywel, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Patrick Murray

    Jeff Thies Guest

    you.

    Really simple to do with a server script. Just redirect.

    When you add the action to your form you'll want to set a target also for
    that frame. And ditch the double slashes.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Apr 20, 2004