Dropdownlist displaying / properties ?

Guest

Hi
I have written some pages with different controls including (textbox,
button, radio button, dropdownlist ...), but I found the dropdownlist
control appears to be "always on top", ie. I have a drop down menu, while
ALL ddl controls appear in front of the menu item, the other button appears
at the back (this happens in IE5 only!), is there anyway to "disable" /
rectify such behavior?

TIA

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

this is due those being windowed controls in IE which makes it bit
problematic. You cannot really disable it, but there are solutions by using
window.createPopUp for example (though it is rather limited)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/om/popup_overview.asp

With this you can create for example a window which won't go back DDLs
whatsoever. It can also help creating kind of menus (see the examples in the
site linked above). It is just IE 5.5+ specific solution.

Guest

I just want the DDL be covered by the dropdown menu (when the menu was being
displayed), just like other controls I have on the page. How does this
PopUp related to the DDL problem I have? Can you elaborate a bit, please?!
TIA

Teemu Keiski said:
Hi,

this is due those being windowed controls in IE which makes it bit
problematic. You cannot really disable it, but there are solutions by using
window.createPopUp for example (though it is rather limited)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/om/popup_overview.asp

With this you can create for example a window which won't go back DDLs
whatsoever. It can also help creating kind of menus (see the examples in the
site linked above). It is just IE 5.5+ specific solution.

Teemu Keiski

Yup,

that popup thingy is shown on top of windowed controls even top of frames or
DDLs. So if you a have a menu utilizing that in displaying, it would go over
the DDL. Another thing is that it's possible to develop custom DDL control
using this so that it won't get over the menus etc (I've done that in the
past)

Take a look at this for example
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/dhtmlmenu4/menu4.html

(if you read that, it tells its using window.createPopUp and one of the
goals "Should cover windowed controls such as plugins and select boxes.")

And demos
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/dhtmlmenu4/demos.html

It's just up to you, where you want to apply it, in custom DDL or custom
menu.

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

I just want the DDL be covered by the dropdown menu (when the menu was
being
displayed), just like other controls I have on the page. How does this
PopUp related to the DDL problem I have? Can you elaborate a bit,
please?!
TIA

Guest

Can you share how you did the custom DDL control, and how is it different
than the webcontrol that comes with .NET?

Teemu Keiski

It is very much like this
http://www.easylistbox.com/demoSpeedSearch.aspx

E.g search capabilities etc as well as inserting via the DDL. I cannot give
the code because I developed it for my employer but idea is to create a
databound control (inheriting from ListControl) and render it out as textbox
and a div under it which contains a table. When the textbox corner etc DDL
is clicked (that V ) it opens the list (into PopUp object) as well as
updates the selection into textbox and a hidden field.

Marcel

This is because a dropdrown box in internet explorer is a windowed
control

Just put an iframe of the same size behind the div and ontop of the
combobox.
You can also use an object.

Marcel van Eijkel
(www.vaneijkel.com)