DropDownList with Custom Content

EdisonCPP

Hi,

I have a DetailsView with a template field with a dropdownlist added to it.
If the data coming into that field were put into a textbox, it would look
like:
Small|Medium|Large|X-Large.
I need to break that out into dropdownlistitems with each text being the
value also.
I've tried using a ObjectDataSource unsuccesfully. What would be a valid
way of handling this?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

EdisonCPP

Also to be clear....

The DetailsView is bound to a SqlDataSource, there is a nvarchar
field called Choice1 with things such as:
Small|Medium|Large|X-Large
-or-
Red|Black|Yellow|Blue
so instead of binding it to a textbox
Text='<%# Bind("Choice1") %>'
I need it to break it out into a DropDown. It's the same dataset
as the rest of the DetailsView.

Thanks again!

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Steven,

From your description you have a field called "Choice1" in your data table.
The data of that field is either "Small|Medium|Large|X-Large" or
"Red|Black|Yellow|Blue". You want to display the data via the DropDownList
in the DetailsView's ItemTemplate. Say the data is
"Small|Medium|Large|X-Large" you want to populate four items with text
"Small", "Medium", "Large", "X-Large". Is my understanding correct?

If so please try following code. In the DataBound event handler of the
DetailsView we can get the reference of the DropDownList and populate it
manually:

Aspx:
ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:AConnectionString %>"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Table1]"></asp:SqlDataSource>

<asp:DetailsView AllowPaging="true" ID="DetailsView1"
runat="server" AutoGenerateRows="False"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" Height="50px" Width="125px"
ondatabound="DetailsView1_DataBound">
<Fields>
<asp:TemplateField><ItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server">
</asp:DropDownList>
</ItemTemplate></asp:TemplateField>
</Fields>
</asp:DetailsView>

Aspx.cs:
protected void DetailsView1_DataBound(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
DetailsView d=(DetailsView)sender;
DropDownList ddl = d.FindControl("DropDownList1") as
DropDownList;
if (ddl != null)
{
DataRowView drv = (DataRowView)d.DataItem;
string data = drv.Row["Choice1"].ToString();
string[] datalist = data.Split('|');
ddl.DataSource = datalist;
ddl.DataBind();

Please test my code to see if it works. If my understanding is wrong please
correct me and clarify the scenario.
Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
| From: "EdisonCPP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: DropDownList with Custom Content
| Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:05:48 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Also to be clear....
|
| The DetailsView is bound to a SqlDataSource, there is a nvarchar
| field called Choice1 with things such as:
| Small|Medium|Large|X-Large
| -or-
| Red|Black|Yellow|Blue
| so instead of binding it to a textbox
| Text='<%# Bind("Choice1") %>'
| I need it to break it out into a DropDown. It's the same dataset
| as the rest of the DetailsView.
|
| Thanks again!
|

| > Hi,
| >
| > I have a DetailsView with a template field with a dropdownlist added to
| > it.
| > If the data coming into that field were put into a textbox, it would
look
| > like:
| > Small|Medium|Large|X-Large.
| > I need to break that out into dropdownlistitems with each text being
the
| > value also.
| > I've tried using a ObjectDataSource unsuccesfully. What would be a
valid
| > way of handling this?
| >
| > Thanks in advance!
| >
| > Steven

EdisonCPP

Allen,

Thanks! That worked perfectly.
The biggest thing I was missing was being able to get to the
data:

DataRowView drv = (DataRowView)d.DataItem;

Thanks for your help.

Steven
Hi Steven,

From your description you have a field called "Choice1" in your data
[...]