Dynamic compilation errors

Steve

Hi

I'm receiving the following error whenever a new build is placed onto our
production server:

Timed out waiting for a program to execute. The command being executed was
"c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe"
@"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\f315a746\1e2bd43d\famzuazo.cmdline".

STACK TRACE:

at System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCaptureUnimpersonated(IntPtr
userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles,
String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine)

at System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCapture(IntPtr userToken,
String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles, String&
outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine)

at System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.Compile(CompilerParameters options,
String compilerDirectory, String compilerExe, String arguments, String&
outputFile, Int32& nativeReturnValue, String trueArgs)

at System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromFileBatch(CompilerParameters
options, String[] fileNames)

at System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDomBatch(CompilerParameters
options, CodeCompileUnit[] ea)

at System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDom(CompilerParameters options,
CodeCompileUnit e)

at
System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.System.CodeDom.Compiler.ICodeCompiler.C
ompileAssemblyFromDom(CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit e)

at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType().

It seems to happen only to random pages within our application. It looks
like the cmdline file is being locked and doing an IISReset would solve the
problem temporarily. After the next build this problem re-surfaces.

I've searched the web for this problem and it seems that a lot of people
experience similar errors but there are not very many solutions. Some
people suggest it involves IISLockdown which we have on our server. I've
made sure that I've given proper permissions to all ASP.NET directories but
it still doesn't work. We have 2 apps with different security models
experiencing this behaviour. One app uses windows authentication with
impersonation and the other just used standard windows authentication.
We've made sure that both the aspnet account and the impersonated accounts
have full access to the .NET framework directories (and temp directories).

Also, I recently read that it may be an antivirus software which is locking
the cmdline file. We do have Norton Corporate edition running on our server
but I'm unsure as to whether this is the cause of the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or comments, they would greatly be
appreciated. Thank you.

Steve

Girish bharadwaj

Sometimes Index Service seems to cause problems with copying files over.
But, the problem you are seeing does seem to be related to NAV being on that
box. Do you get any compiler errors? I remember seeing a Internal Compiler
Error 128 when aspnet_wp could not compile the files because of resource
constraints.

--
Girish Bharadwaj
http://msmvps.com/gbvb
Steve said:
[...]

Hi Girish

Thanks for the reply. Compilation on our dev server is fine. Its only when
we installer the web app on our production server (using an Installer
project) that we encounter this problem. The app installs fine and when we
test each page, most dynamically compile as well. There a just some random
pages which have problems dynamically compiling that first time you hit the
site. That error is thrown for those pages.

We will try to disable the antivirus this week to see if its the cuprit.
Thanks for your help and I'll post the results of the test.

Steve