Editing Inkscape SVG files with Python?

Steven D'Aprano

I have some SVG files generated with Inkscape containing many text blocks
(over 100). I wish to programmatically modify those text blocks using
Python. Is there a library I should be using, or any other guidelines or
advice anyone can give me?

Googling for "python inkscape" comes up with too many hits for Inkscape's
plugin system to be much help to me.

Thanks in advance.

Matej Cepl

Googling for "python inkscape" comes up with too many hits for Inkscape's
plugin system to be much help to me.

Aside from suggesting lxml, I would ask "So why not to follow the stream
and create Inkscape plugin"? I have in similar situation created a
plugin (https://gitorious.org/inkscape-ungroup-deep/) and I have to say
it wasn't that difficult and results are pretty satisfactory.

Matěj