Efficient Logging in C++

pmatos

Hi all,

I am trying to create a simple but efficient C++ logging class. I know
there are lots of them out there but I want something simple and
efficient. The number one requirement is the possibility of shutting
logging down at compile time and suffer no performance penalty
whatsoever for getting logging on whenever I wish. Of course that I
would need to recompile the project each time I want to turn logging on
or off. But given a LOGGING variable what's the best way to turn log on
or off with no performance penalty?

My idea is to have a singleton logger class to log to a file or to
stdout and then provide some macros that would be used all around the
code that would either not do anything or call logging object methods
if LOGGING is defined.

Are any better ideas out there?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Stephen M. Webb

pmatos said:
I am trying to create a simple but efficient C++ logging class. I know
there are lots of them out there but I want something simple and
efficient. The number one requirement is the possibility of shutting
logging down at compile time and suffer no performance penalty
whatsoever for getting logging on whenever I wish. Of course that I
would need to recompile the project each time I want to turn logging on
or off. But given a LOGGING variable what's the best way to turn log on
or off with no performance penalty?

My idea is to have a singleton logger class to log to a file or to
stdout and then provide some macros that would be used all around the
code that would either not do anything or call logging object methods
if LOGGING is defined.

Are any better ideas out there?

Consider logging to std::clog. You can replace the clog streambuf
with the streambuf of your choice (to a file, socket, window,
whatever). Principle of least surprise for your readers.

If you disable logging by using an "if (loggingIsEnabled) { std::clog
<< ...; }" then unless logging is enabled you pay no performance
penalty, and the enabling is done at run time so you don't have two
code streams to test.

pmatos

Well, yeah, but having to test at run-time if(loggingIsEnabled) is
already a performance penalty if I do it a zillion times, right?

Dieter Beaven

Hi Paulo,

Using the Singleton Pattern is a good idea, and provides a centralised
point of control over the logging. One way to control the type of
logging is to provide different derived classes implementing the
logging in different ways, including a class that does no logging (
i.e. different logging Strategies ).

class Logging
{
public:
static Logging& instance()
{ if ( 0 == Logging::singleton )
{ if ( LOGGING_TYPE == COUT_LOGGING )
{ Logging::singleton = new CoutLogging();
}
else if ( LOGGING_TYPE == FILE_LOGGING )
{ Logging::singleton = new FileLogging();
}
// etc...
else
{ Logging::singleton = new NoLogging();
return *Logging::singleton;
}

public:
virtual Logging& loggingInterfaceMethods() = 0;

protected:
Logging();

private:
Logging( const Logging& );
Logging& operator=( const Logging& );

private:
static Logging* singleton;
};

class NoLogging : public Logging
{
public:
virtual Logging& loggingInterfaceMethods() { /* NOOP */ }
};

// etc ...

The selecting value LOGGING_TYPE could either be a #define in source
or in the make file / project settings for compile time selection, or
you could make it a dynamic property of the Logger to allow the
logging to vary at runtime after resetting the Logging class.

If your application peformance really is sensitive to even the ( 0 ==
Logging::singleton ) test ( which you can't avoid for this style of
Singleton Idiom in C++ ), then its worth considering if you really
need ( or even can afford ) to log the performance critical section of
code.

A possible alternative to the Singleton Pattern would be to use
Template Meta Programming techniques whereby the Logging Strategy
becomes a Policy template and the compiler can be used to ensure that
NoLogging Policy never generates any code at all ( similiar effect to
using MACROs, but far superior ). I'll refer you to the Modern C++
Design book if you're keen to learn those ideas.

You can in principle combine the two ideas, but now we're diverging
away from the quick and simple...

IMHO, I think the log4cpp library is excellent, and a good place to
start if looking for ideas ( http://log4cpp.sourceforge.net/ )

Regards,

Dieter Beaven

davidrubin

You want to use a macro interface to your logging API. This way, you
can define the macros to no-ops if necessary. /david

Fazl

You want to use a macro interface to your logging API. This way, you
can define the macros to no-ops if necessary. /david

Or, use a constant switch set to true or false, then the compiler can
select to include the logging call or not at compile time.

You may not gain runtime flexibility, but you get the 'no overhead
when not used' benefit without having to pollute your code with
macros.

Macro values remain at the mercy of any third party headers you may
#include and the compiler may never warn you.

-Fazl