Embedded Python - Blocking Python Function

andy

I embed multiple interpreters. I create the interpreter and modules in
the primary thread of my application:

PyEval_AcquireLock();
thread = Py_NewInterpreter();
PyThreadState_Swap(thread);

....initialize modules, etc....

PyThreadState_Swap(maininterpreter);
PyEval_ReleaseLock();

Then I create a C thread called "main" which calls a function called
"Main" in the Python interpreter:

PyEval_AcquireLock();
PyThreadState_Swap(thread);
moduledictionary = PyModule_GetDict(pmodule);
PyObject_CallObject(PyDict_GetItemString(moduledictionary, "Main"),
NULL);
PyThreadState_Swap(maininterpreter);
PyEval_ReleaseLock();

The problem is that the function "Main" in the Python script can take
up to 60 seconds to execute. How can I terminate this thread (and
therefore the Main function in python) cleanly from the primary thread
of my application?

If I try to call Py_EndInterpreter(thread); then I get a runtime error
(presumably because the Main function is still executing).

thanks, Andy

Gabriel Genellina

The problem is that the function "Main" in the Python script can take
up to 60 seconds to execute. How can I terminate this thread (and
therefore the Main function in python) cleanly from the primary thread
of my application?

Not forcibly - you need some cooperation from the Main function. Maybe
setting a global variable that Main checks periodically.

andy

Not forcibly - you need some cooperation from the Main function. Maybe
setting a global variable that Main checks periodically.

Thanks. I'll give that a try!

Andy

andy

Thanks. I'll give that a try!

Andy

It works but the problem is that the script will be written by the end
user. If they make a mistake and the cancel flag isn't perodically
checked then it seems I have no way of cleanly ending the interpreter.
If I wait for a specific time after requesting the Main function stop
I need to be able to kill the interpreter without a runtime error. Any
ideas?

Andy

Gabriel Genellina

It works but the problem is that the script will be written by the end
user. If they make a mistake and the cancel flag isn't perodically
checked then it seems I have no way of cleanly ending the interpreter.
If I wait for a specific time after requesting the Main function stop
I need to be able to kill the interpreter without a runtime error. Any
ideas?

You could use PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc - it's supposed to raise an
exception in another thread. There is a Cookbook recipe using it here
<http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/496960>
I've never actually used it, but I want to try it some day, so please
report back your findings if you decide to use this function.

andy

You could use PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc - it's supposed to raise an
exception in another thread. There is a Cookbook recipe using it here
<http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/496960>
I've never actually used it, but I want to try it some day, so please
report back your findings if you decide to use this function.

It seems this is the function I need, however the following gave an
access violation:

PyEval_AcquireLock();
PyThreadState_Swap(thread);

// stop interpreter by sending system exit exception to it's thread
PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc(thread->thread_id, PyExc_SystemExit);