Encrytion causing error

Chris Kennedy

I am encryted some data for use in calling an xml function

System.Xml.XmlException:'', hexadecimal value 0x13, is an invalid
character.

Here is my encryption function.

Function Encrypt(ByVal value As String) As String
Dim cryptoProvider As DESCryptoServiceProvider = New
DESCryptoServiceProvider()
Dim ms As MemoryStream = New MemoryStream()
Dim cs As CryptoStream = New CryptoStream(ms,
cryptoProvider.CreateEncryptor(key_64, IV_64), CryptoStreamMode.Write)
Dim sw As StreamWriter = New StreamWriter(cs)
sw.Write(value)
sw.Flush()
cs.FlushFinalBlock()
ms.Flush()
Return Convert.ToBase64String(ms.GetBuffer(), 0, ms.Length)
End Function

Any ideas of how pass encrypted data as XML without XML illegal character
errors.

Grant Merwitz

Try enclose the encrypted data in CDATA tags

<SomeNode>
<![CDATA[
encrypted data with invalid characters go here
]]>
</SomeNode>

Chris Kennedy

The function is a webservice. I am passing the encrypted text as a string. I
am assuming it can't convert it to XML.

Chris Kennedy said:
[...]

sorry, i thought you were trying to place the encrypted string into an XML
file. Didn't realise it was a Web Service.

Not sure if an encrypted over Xml through a web service would break it.
People must pass encrypted values of Web Services all the time.

Just a thought - as web services are http based, maybe the encryption it
creating a character there that could break it.
Maybe give UrlEncoding the string a try. ... Just an idea, and a problem
i've come across passing encrypted values through Http

Chris Kennedy said:
[...]

When I send the string encrypted i can return the encrypted string (as a
test) no problem.
When I decrypt and return it 90% I get the error. Occassionally I get a
successful decryption but only on a first build of the webservice. Could
something be cached somewhere.

Function Decrypt(ByVal value As String) As String
Dim cryptoProvider As DESCryptoServiceProvider = New
DESCryptoServiceProvider()
Dim buffer As Byte() = Convert.FromBase64String(value)
Dim ms As MemoryStream = New MemoryStream(buffer)
Dim cs As CryptoStream = New CryptoStream(ms,
cryptoProvider.CreateDecryptor(key_64, IV_64), CryptoStreamMode.Read)
Dim sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader(cs)
Return sr.ReadToEnd
End Function

Grant Merwitz said:
[...]

Bruce Barker

you need to xml encode the string. if you use the XmlTextWriter it will do
it for you, or you can use the XmlTextEncoder.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)