EnumChildWindows & GetWindowText

Frank Landen

Hi newsgroup.

I´ve got a third party java applet which is running in a seperate
window. It has 7 textboxes which display some data.

Now, I want to get the contents from the textboxes with another small
program (to save them into a text file) because I cant modify the
original java applet.

I use the win-api FindWindow to get the handle from the applet (this
works). Then I tried with EnumChildWindows and GetText to get the
contents. But it failed, I got no handles from EnumChildWindows.

Doesnt it work, because the applet is drawn with Swing?
Is it possible to get the data from the textboxes?

Regards

Frank

Andrew Thompson

Frank Landen wrote:
I´ve got a third party java applet which is running in a seperate
window.

Separate to what? What is the URL?
..It has 7 textboxes which display some data.

Now, I want to get the contents from the textboxes with another small
program (to save them into a text file) because I cant modify the
original java applet.

Why not? Licensing agreements? It is technically
possible to alter a Java class.
I use the win-api .. ...
Doesnt it work, because the applet is drawn with Swing?

Most probably. Even vaguely recall hearing something
to that effect recently.
Is it possible to get the data from the textboxes?

There would probably be ways.

Your best bet might be to ask the applet authors
to add an interface to the applet that supplies the
strings of interest.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Frank Landen

I forgot:

-The applet is a popup window from a link.
-It is based on ajax and use awt-classes.
-Is it possible to access the data from vb/c/delphi ?

Andrew Thompson

Frank said:
I forgot:

-The applet is a popup window from a link.

What link? The internet is a big place..
-It is based on ajax and use awt-classes.

The use of Ajax closes off some forms of accessing
the applet, most particularly a simple free-floating frame.
OTOH, it might still be possible to access it directly in
the web page.
-Is it possible to access the data from vb/c/delphi ?

Depends.. drop an URL and I'll have a poke around.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Frank Landen

Thanks for answer!
What link? The internet is a big place..

It would be the easiest way to save the data by modifying the applet,
but the author wont do this :(
Thats the reasen because i would to read the data in another way.

https://www.abnamromarketindex.com/en/demo-login.aspx

I´ve made an trial account:
user: (e-mail address removed)
password: testtest

1. right-click in the chart and select "price-box"
2. draw the yellow box then in the chart (click and move)
3. a "buy box option" window appears

The data from the seven textboxes should be read.

Regards

Frank

Lew

Frank said:
It would be the easiest way to save the data by modifying the applet,
but the author wont do this :(
Thats the reasen because i would to read the data in another way.

How hard would it be for you to rewrite the whole applet? That way the author
can be all the prima donna they want and it won't affect you.

Andrew Thompson

Frank said:
Hi Andrew.

Do you have any idea for my problem?

Sorry. When I saw it was exchange rates, I completely
lost interest. It seems to me that any code dealing with
exchange rates is inherently commercial, and my attitude
is 'buy the data from whoever is willing to sell it'.

FWIW - my analysis of that applet indicated they had gone
to considerable lengths to ensure that only the 'authorized'
applet (their own applet) got access to the data. AFAIU, any
successful attempt to access the data would be very fragile
(since they would probably notice, then change some aspect
so the pretender again showed up as 'unauthorized') ..it's
probably also not in accordance with the provider's terms of
usage, though I could not be bothered trawling through their
documentation to confirm that.

I probably should have got back to you sooner, but I was
having trouble figuring how to say the above in a diplomatic
way, ..and forgot.

I *strongly* recommend you abandon this attempt, and
seek other sources of the data.