error installing IE web controls

Larry

Hi guys,

I downloaded IE web controls from the microsoft site and am trying to
install them as it's a prerequisite for CMServer. When I try to install the
web controls by running the file iewebcontrols.msi, it starts out normally,
but gives me the following error during the install and aborts:

The specified path 'http://dc2/webctrl_client' is unavailable. The internet
information server might not be running or the path exists and is redirected
to another machine. Please check the status of the virtual directory in the
Internet Services Manager.

dc2 is the name of the server I am trying to install it on. I know IIS is
running. Does anyone know what could be causing the error?

Thanks,

Larry

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Larry,

The IE Web controls needs some additional libraries that may not have been
installed properly. They are normally installed in /webctrl_client/1_0
which is a subdirectory on the site.

Check here for more info on the installation?

Installing the IE Web Controls

"In order to use the IE Web Controls in your ASP.NET Web applications, you
must first download the controls' source code and run a build batch file
that will compile the source code and copy all the needed files to the
appropriate Web application directories. The Internet Explorer Web Controls
Download Packages is a 360 KB, self-extracting install file.

Once you have downloaded and installed the IE Web Controls, a new directory
will be created (the default is C:\Program Files\IE Web Controls\, although
you can configure it during the installation). Navigate to this new
directory and double-click the build.bat file. This will create a new
subdirectory, build, and compile the classes in the src subdirectory,
copying the resulting assembly and support files into the build
subdirectory.

After running the build.bat file, the build subdirectory will have in it the
assembly file Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a subdirectory called
Runtime. In order to start using the IE Web Controls in an ASP.NET Web
application you must copy the contents of the build\Runtime subdirectory to
the Web application's /webctrl_client/1_0 subdirectory and the assembly file
(Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll) to the Web application's /bin
subdirectory (an example, along with command-line instructions to perform
these tasks, is available in the IE Web Controls README.txt file)."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...spp/html/aspnet-usingtreeviewiewebcontrol.asp

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Eddie

After runnning the build.bat, I don't see
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll in the sub directory under build. Is
there anything wrong I did?