Error : invalid pointer in smartnav.js

Richard

Running on Windows XP Pro with IIS5, Visual Studio 2003 and framework 1.1.
ASP.NET with C#.

I'm getting following error within Smartnav.js
htmlfile: Invalid pointer
which happens at the line hdm.appendChild(k);

It happens when a javascript alert attempts to fire in any event that is
postback. If I run it under PageLoad Not IsPostBack there is no problem but
anywhere else this error occurs. Also switching off SmartNavigation gets rid
of the error.
It seems a combination of Javascript, PostBack and SmartNavigation causes
the error.

The Javascript is a simple alert :
Response.Write("<script language='javascript'>alert('Sorting data to inlcude
the machine you added');</script>");

A google search shows that this has happened before (November 2003), but
there didn't seem to be any solutions.

Anyone come across this problem ?