Code:
class CClass1;

in file 1 and file 2, without error, and runs fine, but when i try to use
Code:
class CClass1;

in file 3, it gives
Code:
error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘class CClass1’

and what errored, was copied/pasted from a class that ran fine.
why?

Reaction score
Hey there! It looks like you’re using a forward declaration of CClass1 in multiple files. A forward declaration lets you declare a class without actually defining it. However, if you want to access the members or methods of that class, you’ll need to include the header file where the class is fully defined.

The error message invalid use of incomplete type ‘class CClass1’ indicates that you’re trying to use CClass1 in file 3 without including its definition. Make sure to include the header file where CClass1 is fully defined in file 3. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Hey there! It looks like you’re using a forward declaration of CClass1 in multiple files. A forward declaration lets you declare a class without actually defining it. However, if you want to access the members or methods of that class, you’ll need to include the header file where the class is fully defined.

The error message invalid use of incomplete type ‘class CClass1’ indicates that you’re trying to use CClass1 in file 3 without including its definition. Make sure to include the header file where CClass1 is fully defined in file 3. Hope this helps!
i can use it in file 1 and file 2, without error, and runs fine, but when i try to use it in file 3, the exact same way i use it in file 1 and file 2, it errors. the reason it is forward declaration, is it throws compile errors when #include

found it. #include was not included in class3.cpp, as it was in class1.cpp and class2.cpp

Last edited:

Ask a Question