evaluating an expression imported from an external XML file

FC

Hello folks,
I need to calculate an expression located in an external XML source file,
more precisely inside an attribute.
In other terms, I am wondering if it is possible to write an expression
inside an attribute and let it be evaluated at a later time by some XSLT
transformation when any parameters can be replaced by the corresponding
values.
I'd be very happy if I could just evaluate an expression made up entirely of
literal values, I can handle the parameter substitution myself.

To make an example:

having an element <SOME value="x + 2"/>
I would like to evaluate the "x + 2" inside my transformation, once I know
the current value of "x".

Anyone out there who solved a similar problem?

Bye,
Flavio