Export Datagrid to Excel

Guest

Hi,

I have to export data inside the datagrid into an excel worksheet. I have
to do this on button click event. I am trying to do like this.

First get the DataTable from the datagrid and iterate through each row to
get the data. I am not able to get the DataTable from the datagrid. How could
I do that? I tried like this but it is not working

Dim dt as DataTable = CType(datagrid1.DataSource, DataTable)

I have also tried this

Dim t as Table = datagrid1.Controls(0). This one is giving the data in the
form of a table. but the problem is, If I have a datagrid that contains
LinkButtons and If I need to get the text of that LinkButtons, it is not
getting them. Is there a way to get the full data even the text on the
controls so that I could export it to excel?

Thnx!

Guest

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. It is working fine for some pages. But for some
pages it is exporting the whole page not just the datagrid. I am thinking it
is due to the HttpContext.Current property. Is there a way to clear all the
data and just export the datagrid?

Thanks,
Sridhar.

Guest

I see a lot of the same code out there to export data from an ASP.NET
DataGrid to Excel. All the solutions are pretty similar. One thing I have
noticed with the solution(s) provided is that if a user opens the file,
rather than saving it, the Excel file will open in the user's browser window
and disable the Back button. How can you allow a user to open the Excel file
(instead of saving it off first) and be able to use the Back button to get
back to the site?

Thanks!

Brian

Guest

Nope...Never found a solution to it...be sure to post back here if you find
one!!

Brian