export to excel

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by elangovan.cse, Sep 29, 2006.

  1. Hi all,
    I'm exporting a datagrid to an excel file.
    I'm using the following source code to export.
    DataTable dt = new DataTable();

    DataAccess.StoredProcedure sproc = new
    DataAccess.StoredProcedure("sproc_getdata");

    sproc.Run(dt);

    DataGrid1.DataSource = dt;

    DataGrid1.DataBind();

    DataGrid1.EnableViewState = false;

    DataGrid1.Visible = true;

    DataGrid1.GridLines = GridLines.Both;

    Response.Clear();

    Response.Buffer = true;

    Response.AddHeader( "Content-Disposition", "filename=File1.xls");

    StringWriter stringWriter = new StringWriter();

    HtmlTextWriter htmlWriter = new HtmlTextWriter(stringWriter);

    DataGrid1.RenderControl(htmlWriter);

    Response.Write(stringWriter.ToString());

    Response.ContentType="application/vnd.ms-excel";

    Response.End();

    Its working fine.

    but there is an isuue datagrid dt contains extended language
    strings (like chinese, japanese).These strings are not getting
    exported to excel .
    DataGrid is getting data from SQLServer2005 database. I know that
    sqlserver is using utf-16 encoding for unicode character. So i've tried
    to change Response.ContentEncoding to utf-16. But it is also not
    working.

    Can anyone help me.

    elangovan.cse, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Mark Fitzpatrick, Sep 30, 2006