Extract bits from byte array

andrinarenee

Hello,

I will have an array of 48 byte that will correspond to 48 different
registers. Each register has different fields (eg. register 1 has 1
field of 2 bits, and another field of 6 bits, register 2 is composed of
1 2-bit field and 6 1-bit fields.)

How can I parse the byte array and extract the bits corresponding to
the different fields (and field lengths)

Andrey Kuznetsov

I will have an array of 48 byte that will correspond to 48 different
registers. Each register has different fields (eg. register 1 has 1
field of 2 bits, and another field of 6 bits, register 2 is composed of
1 2-bit field and 6 1-bit fields.)

How can I parse the byte array and extract the bits corresponding to
the different fields (and field lengths)

you need three things to do it:
1) index in byte array
2) bit mask
3) shift amount

class Register {

byte [] values;

int index;
int shift;
int mask;

public int getValue() {
return (values[index] & mask) >> shift ;

Andrey