F1 not working

George Hardy

knowlegeable people:

i uninstalled msdn completely, and also deleted every registry value i could
find for msdn, and also deleted the directory in c:\program files\msdn.

this should give me a clean install, right? no. F1 help still does not
work. I found a knowlegebase article that says this is by design. well,
microsoft's installer for msdn 2003 sucks, because it doesn't fix the sh*t
properly. I have tried the collection manager, and "msdn library - January
2003" is CHECKED. I uncheck it, restart, then check it again, and still no
worky.

what is the magic word? please? i need help with this...thanks

george hardy

i love ms, but not msdn installer!!!!!!

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

October 19, 2005

Frankly I don't know... But did you uninstall using Add/Remove Programs?
If you didn't, then you don't have a complete uninstall.........

--
Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
Static IP

Sahil Malik [MVP]

Uhhmm .. Reinstall Vstudio, if F1 is not working - it's probably the
application receiving your "F1" that is screwed up - i.e. Vstudio.
And follow that with an MSDN install.

Related joke:

Q: Why did nobody come to help the drowning .NET programmer?
A: Because he kept yelling F1 F1 F1 !!!

LOL :)

Gerald Hernandez

What are the symptoms you are getting? "F1 not working" isn't very
descriptive.
If it worked before, and just sort of stopped working, then there is one
simple thing you can try.
Go into Internet Explorer and perform a cleanup.
Delete all temporary files, possibly cookies, and such.
MSDN / Help / F1 just stopping is relatively common, and it is related to IE
getting "full".

Gerald

George Hardy

everyone, thanks for your replies...

wow, visual studio reporting that msdn collection is not installed when it
clearly is, and IE has something to do with it?

that don't make much sense. i'll give it a try, tho. context sensitive
help is pretty important when you are a .net newbie, but i guess i could
struggle along just searching the msdn collection myself. (ugh!)

thanks again,
george hardy

ms rulez

George Hardy

Now, I changed the help system to use "external help".....I assume that this
is msdn online.

"NO SUCH INTERFACE SUPPORTED"

this sucks.

george hardy

George Hardy

OH, also, i dont know if this will help, but when i go to HELP|Contents or
HELP|Index or HELP|Search, it also tells me MSDN not installed.

Gerald Hernandez

Ah, now that provided a little more info:
"visual studio reporting that msdn collection is not installed when it
clearly is"

I hadn't seen that in the thread I'm looking at. That hasn't happened to me,
yet.
Well, it is less likely that IE is the culprit, but they are intrinsically
tied so give it a try anyway.

Gerald

Norm

George Hardy said:
OH, also, i dont know if this will help, but when i go to HELP|Contents
or HELP|Index or HELP|Search, it also tells me MSDN not installed.

Just a thought George, but I assume you are talking about the MSDN library
CD. How did you install it? Directly from the CD or did you make a Virtual
CD? Did you install everything onto your computer or do you need the CD in
the drive? If the latter, is the CD in the drive.

I had a problem once with the library installed on virtual drives and the
drives not being loaded on startup.

Norm

George Hardy

no, something is just screwy. i think i should just uninstall everything
(vs/msdn), and get rid of every registry entry and directory i can find,
then try it again.

thanks...