Fabrice Bellard has written a 32 bit x86 emulator in Javascript

Erwin Moller

Wow, I haven't fived into its possibilities (and restrictions) yet, but
this sounds impressive. :)

Fabrice Bellard has written a 32 bit x86 emulator in Javascript -- in
plain English, he's created a virtual PC that runs inside your browser,
using Javascript. And then (of course), he created a GNU/Linux variant
that can run inside it -- so you can run a full-featured PC inside your
browser. It's a pretty fabulous hack and has far-reaching implications:
for example, you could theoretically run any program or OS inside your
browser, even if you're using a locked-down platform that won't let you
change the OS or install your own programs. And then there's stuff like
installing MAME in a virtual browser machine, so that you can play
all/any retrogames.

source: http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/18/javascript-based-pc.html

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Ry Nohryb

Wow, I haven't fived into its possibilities (and restrictions) yet, but
this sounds impressive. :)

Fabrice Bellard has written a 32 bit x86 emulator in Javascript -- in
plain English, he's created a virtual PC that runs inside your browser,
using Javascript. And then (of course), he created a GNU/Linux variant
that can run inside it -- so you can run a full-featured PC inside your
browser. It's a pretty fabulous hack and has far-reaching implications:
for example, you could theoretically run any program or OS inside your
browser, even if you're using a locked-down platform that won't let you
change the OS or install your own programs. And then there's stuff like
installing MAME in a virtual browser machine, so that you can play
all/any retrogames.

source:http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/18/javascript-based-pc.html

That's simply amazing, isn't it ?

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]
l>, Mon, 23 May 2011 11:10:56, Erwin Moller <Since_humans_read_this_I_am
(e-mail address removed)> posted:
Wow, I haven't fived into its possibilities (and restrictions) yet, but
this sounds impressive. :)

Fabrice Bellard has written a 32 bit x86 emulator in Javascript -- in
plain English, he's created a virtual PC that runs inside your browser,
using Javascript.

So if the Management allows only MSIE to be installed, one can run
Chrome in emulation ...

I once wrote a partial LSI-11 emulator in Turbo Pascal on an Amstrad
PPC640. Partial, in the sense that I wished to run a particular Macro-
11 comms program on a PC and so only implemented the instructions I
needed/understood - and wrote the actual packet I/O part in ordinary
Pascal. It ran perceptibly, but not significantly, slower than the
original.

(Other required programs were in LSI-11 FORTRAN IV, which converted to
Pascal by heavy editing).