    SqlDataSource. Can anyone tell me what is the cleanest/best way to do this?

    Thanks,
    -KF

    Guest, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Hi,

    Thank you for your post.

    Based on my understanding, your question is how to pass the UserControl's
    property to its SqlDataSource as one of its select parameters. If I've
    misunderstood anything, please feel free to post here.

    I recommend you handle the SqlDataSource's Selecting event and set the
    select parameter value there. Also, you need to call DataGrid.DataBind()
    after the UserControl's property gets changed.

    I'm using SqlServer NorthWind database "Order Details" as an example:

    <asp:DataGrid ID="grid1" runat="server"
    DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"></asp:DataGrid>
    <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$
    ConnectionStrings:NorthwindConnectionString %>"
    SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Order Details] WHERE ([OrderID] =
    @OrderID)" OnSelecting="SqlDataSource1_Selecting">
    <SelectParameters>
    <asp:parameter Name="OrderID" Type="Int32" />
    </SelectParameters>
    </asp:SqlDataSource>

    public int OrderID
    {
    get
    {
    object o = ViewState["OrderID"];
    if (o == null) return 0;
    return (int) o;
    }
    set
    {
    ViewState["OrderID"] = value;
    grid1.DataBind();
    protected void SqlDataSource1_Selecting(object sender,
    SqlDataSourceSelectingEventArgs e)
    {
    e.Command.Parameters["@OrderID"].Value = OrderID;

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jul 13, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Walter,

    Your post gave me the information I needed to accomplish what I set out to
    do, which was to develop a generic control to list administrative overviews,
    and to call different content categories based on a custom parameter fed in
    through the IDE. Thanks as always for your comprehensive help.

    Anyone following in my footsteps is encouraged to be mindful of the
    distinctions between SqlDataSource <SelectParameters> -- there are different
    types ("Parameter", "CommandParameter") and if you sub in the wrong one from
    older example code, things will break

    Thanks again for your help.

    -KF

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    Guest Guest

    This is the full code for what I described in my earlier scenario for anyone
    trying to duplicate what I've done. Note also that the DataBind() method
    needs to go in the page load event.

    In the .ascx:
    <asp:SqlDataSource OnSelecting="SqlDataSource1_Selecting"
    ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ [redacted for
    security, whatever references your connection string] %>"
    SelectCommand="SELECT [Con_ContentID], [Sta_StatusID], [Con_InsertDate],
    [Con_PubDate], [Con_Title], [Con_Body], [Con_Url], [Con_Icon] FROM
    [Contentitems] WHERE ([Con_CategoryID] = @Con_CategoryID)">
    <SelectParameters>
    <asp:parameter Name="Con_CategoryID" Type="Int32" />
    </SelectParameters>
    </asp:SqlDataSource>

    In the codebehind for the .ascx:
    public partial class AdminControls_OverviewByContentCategory :
    System.Web.UI.UserControl
    {

    private int contentcategoryid;

    public int ContentCategoryID
    {
    get
    {
    return contentcategoryid;
    }
    set
    {
    contentcategoryid = value;

    protected void SqlDataSource1_Selecting(object sender,
    SqlDataSourceSelectingEventArgs e)
    {
    e.Command.Parameters["@Con_CategoryID"].Value = ContentCategoryID;

    GridView1.DataBind();

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006
  5. Hi,

    Thank you for your update and sample code. I'm sure that this will benefit
    the community a lot.

    Have a nice day!

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jul 16, 2006