feeding a SQLDataSource embedded in an .ascx user control a custom property assigned to that contro

Guest

I'm building some user controls. I very much like how you can build custom
properties to be bound to a user control, and how instances of that control
will show those custom properties in the VS.NET IDE.

I've made a user control -- let's call it MyUserControl.ascx -- with a
DataGrid and an SqlDataSource. The SqlDataSource that loads content by
categoryID.

I've defined a property on MyUserControl.ascx called ContentCategoryID.

I want custom property ContentCategoryID to be the parameter that filters
SqlDataSource. Can anyone tell me what is the cleanest/best way to do this?

Thanks,
-KF

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my understanding, your question is how to pass the UserControl's
property to its SqlDataSource as one of its select parameters. If I've
misunderstood anything, please feel free to post here.

I recommend you handle the SqlDataSource's Selecting event and set the
select parameter value there. Also, you need to call DataGrid.DataBind()
after the UserControl's property gets changed.

I'm using SqlServer NorthWind database "Order Details" as an example:

<asp:DataGrid ID="grid1" runat="server"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"></asp:DataGrid>
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$
ConnectionStrings:NorthwindConnectionString %>"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Order Details] WHERE ([OrderID] =
@OrderID)" OnSelecting="SqlDataSource1_Selecting">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:parameter Name="OrderID" Type="Int32" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

public int OrderID
{
get
{
object o = ViewState["OrderID"];
if (o == null) return 0;
return (int) o;
}
set
{
ViewState["OrderID"] = value;
grid1.DataBind();
protected void SqlDataSource1_Selecting(object sender,
SqlDataSourceSelectingEventArgs e)
{
e.Command.Parameters["@OrderID"].Value = OrderID;

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Guest

Walter,

Your post gave me the information I needed to accomplish what I set out to
do, which was to develop a generic control to list administrative overviews,
and to call different content categories based on a custom parameter fed in
through the IDE. Thanks as always for your comprehensive help.

Anyone following in my footsteps is encouraged to be mindful of the
distinctions between SqlDataSource <SelectParameters> -- there are different
types ("Parameter", "CommandParameter") and if you sub in the wrong one from
older example code, things will break

Thanks again for your help.

-KF

Guest

This is the full code for what I described in my earlier scenario for anyone
trying to duplicate what I've done. Note also that the DataBind() method
needs to go in the page load event.

In the .ascx:
<asp:SqlDataSource OnSelecting="SqlDataSource1_Selecting"
ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ [redacted for
security, whatever references your connection string] %>"
SelectCommand="SELECT [Con_ContentID], [Sta_StatusID], [Con_InsertDate],
[Con_PubDate], [Con_Title], [Con_Body], [Con_Url], [Con_Icon] FROM
[Contentitems] WHERE ([Con_CategoryID] = @Con_CategoryID)">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:parameter Name="Con_CategoryID" Type="Int32" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

In the codebehind for the .ascx:
public partial class AdminControls_OverviewByContentCategory :
System.Web.UI.UserControl
{

private int contentcategoryid;

public int ContentCategoryID
{
get
{
return contentcategoryid;
}
set
{
contentcategoryid = value;

protected void SqlDataSource1_Selecting(object sender,
SqlDataSourceSelectingEventArgs e)
{
e.Command.Parameters["@Con_CategoryID"].Value = ContentCategoryID;

GridView1.DataBind();

Walter Wang said:
[...]

rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for your update and sample code. I'm sure that this will benefit
the community a lot.

Have a nice day!