File extension when downloading

Erik Cruz

Hi.

My application has a page where users can click on some links to download
documents. When testing the page I noticed an strange behaviour. One of the
links points to a .pps file. When I click this link, the download window
shows me the file name with a .ppt extension instead of the original .pps
extension. I know both are Power Point files, but why IE changes the file
extension? Is it a normal behaviour?

TIA,
Erik Cruz

Mona\(Grapecity\)

Hi Erik,

This problem can occur because there is no registered Multipurpose Internet
Mail Extensions (MIME)
type for .pps files on either the IIS server or on the client computer.
Because PowerPoint SlideShow (*.pps)
files are associated with PowerPoint only by their file name extension, and
not a separate MIME type,
Microsoft Internet Explorer processes the file as a standard PowerPoint
(*.ppt) file. Therefore, you are
prompted with a .ppt extension when you save the file instead of a .pps
extension.

You can refer to the following Microsoft link for a workaround to get rid of
the problem

[PowerPoint Show (*.pps) file copies as a PowerPoint (.ppt) file from an IIS
Web server]
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q326736

HTH

Mona