File in use error

Nathan Sokalski

I am recieving an error about not being able to use a file because it is
already in use. Based on the error, I think it is referring to my DB, but I
don't know how to avoid the error or why it is happening. Here is the error:
Server Error in '/LVBEP' Application.

Could not use ''; file already in use.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Could not use ''; file
already in use.

Source Error:

Line 41: Dim memberadapter As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT *
FROM members ORDER BY name", "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE="
& Server.MapPath("LVBEP.mdb"))
Line 42:
Line 43: memberadapter.Fill(members)
Line 44: datEditMembers.DataSource = members
Line 45: datEditMembers.DataBind()

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb Line: 43

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Could not use ''; file already in use.]
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr) +20
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider() +57
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +203
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection,
ConnectionState& originalState) +44
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32
startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
CommandBehavior behavior) +304
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord,
Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior
behavior) +77
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38
LVBEP.memberadmin.RefreshMembers() in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb:43
LVBEP.memberadmin.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb:27
System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +241

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

Make sure your Access database file is NOT open in Windows. I.e., make
sure you are closed out of it. I don't know if that's the cause of YOUR
error, but I do know that things can get 'funky' if you have Access
opened, inspecting/modifying your database, and you try to work with it
via an ASP.NET page...

hth

Nathan said:
[...]

I did not have Access (or any other programs that use Access or any Access
DBs) open at the time. I even tried restarting my computer to make sure
nothing was running in the background, but it did not help.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)

Nathan said:
[...]

CommandBehavior behavior) +77
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38
LVBEP.memberadmin.RefreshMembers() in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb:43
LVBEP.memberadmin.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb:27
System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +241

Scott Mitchell [ASP.NET MVP]
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com/ScottMitchell

Mark Rae

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb Line: 43

1) Is Server.MapPath("LVBEP.mdb") pointing to a valid database?

2) Does the ASPNET account have sufficient permissions to do what you want
i.e. specifically to create the .ldb file which Jet uses for locking
purposes?

Nathan Sokalski

Yes, it is pointing to a valid DB (not to mention if the DB was not ther it
would say something like file could not be found). I have also given the
ASPNET machine account access to the database. I have used the database
before in this application, but something, I don't know what, caused it to
start giving this error. I am simply having trouble finding the source of
the error (where/what in my code is causing the problem?) Thanks.

Pipo

If you right click on the access DB and choose for properties is the
checkbox 'read-only' checked?
If so uncheck it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
[...]

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

--

Scott Mitchell [ASP.NET MVP]
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com/ScottMitchell

Bob

Nathan:

Make sure your closing your connection after you access your data in your
code.

Look for a file LVBEP..ldb on the server in the same dir as the LVBEP.mdb
file. If it it's there, delete it.

If you have access to the IIS Administrator, open the IIS Admin.

Right click the site and click properties. Click the "home Directory" tab
and click the "Unload" button then delete the LVBEP.ldb file.

Then try your connection again. As I said, make extra sure your closing the
connection in your code.

MyOLEDBConnection.Open()

Fill your dataAdapters

MyOLEDBConnection.Close()

By chance, your not developing against a DB that is also in production are
you?

Make sure your Access file is not in the root. Put it in a sub dir of the
root and don't give the "Everyone" account read permissions.

Be sure not to load data directly into a session object. Use sessions
sparingly.

HTH

Bob

Patrick.O.Ige

When the Access databse file is opened..i think it also opens
anothe file called ldb ir something try deleting it..
Not really sure if that would help but i had the same issues before
Patrick