File over network timeout

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Peter said:
That depends somewhat on what your code actually does. But, assuming
you're just using the normal file i/o classes (in which case, you're
probably using a UNC path, not a URL), that would be under control of
the host OS.

Pete

In which case, how can I keep it looping so that it sits waiting for the
file info to become available? Or alternatively, I suppose I could sit
in a ping loop until the other end powered up.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Peter said:
If he wants to wait between retries, yes. If he simply wants to retry
immediately after a timeout occurs, it should be fine without. The
timeout itself will avoid unnecessarily consuming CPU time.

Pete

I'll just loop it.
Nothing's going to happen to what is effectively an embedded app until
it can access the database. And nothing else will be needing any CPU cycles.

--
Dirk