File Seeking / Overwriting bytes

lawrence.jones

Ben Bacarisse said:
I think you can get rid of any trace of an alternate parse simply by
putting the whence restriction sooner:

For a text stream, either offset shall be zero, or whence shall be
SEEK_SET and offset shall be a value returned by an earlier
successful call to the ftell function on a stream associated with
the same file.

That's better, but I think it would be better still to capture the "and"
between the "either" and the "or":

For a text stream, either whence shall be SEEK_SET and offset
shall be a value returned by an earlier successful call to the
ftell function on a stream associated with the same file, or
offset shall be zero.

Ian Collins

The standard does use serial commas, but the usage we're discussing
(mixed "and" and "or" clauses) isn't really serial.

Is there a standard or guidelines for the language in ISO standards?

Ben Bacarisse

That's better, but I think it would be better still to capture the "and"
between the "either" and the "or":

For a text stream, either whence shall be SEEK_SET and offset
shall be a value returned by an earlier successful call to the
ftell function on a stream associated with the same file, or
offset shall be zero.

That does not works so well to my mind -- maybe simply because of the
of two short phases with such a long one in the middle. It seems
harder to hold them meaning until it is all resolved. However, I am
biased!

lawrence.jones

Ian Collins said:
Is there a standard or guidelines for the language in ISO standards?

Part 2 of the ISO/IEC Directives (Rules for the structure and drafting
of International Standard) provides some guidelines.