FileSystemObject sees unexisting files!

Martin Mrazek

Hi,
I use FSO ActiveXObject to save file from IE. In JS like

function saveToFile(pathN, content){
var fso, ts;
var ForWrite = 2;

fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
ts = fso_OpenTextFile(pathN, ForWrite, true);
ts.Write(content);
ts.close();
if (!fso.FileExists(pathN)) {
alert("The file <"+pathN+"> cannot be created.");
} else {
alert("Successfully saved");

surprisingly if the pathN contains unexisting path and the file is not
created, the fso.FileExists(pathN) still returns true (the message
"Successfully saved" is written...).

What's wrong there ?

Martin

Lee

Martin Mrazek said:
Hi,
I use FSO ActiveXObject to save file from IE. In JS like

function saveToFile(pathN, content){
var fso, ts;
var ForWrite = 2;

fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
ts = fso_OpenTextFile(pathN, ForWrite, true);
ts.Write(content);
ts.close();
if (!fso.FileExists(pathN)) {
alert("The file <"+pathN+"> cannot be created.");
} else {
alert("Successfully saved");

surprisingly if the pathN contains unexisting path and the file is not
created, the fso.FileExists(pathN) still returns true (the message
"Successfully saved" is written...).

My first guess is that at some point you're specifying the value of
pathN as a string literal that contains single backslashes, such as:

"C:\myFolder\mySubfolder\myFile.txt"

Which would succeed in creating a file named
"myFoldermySubfoldermyFile.txt" in the current directory.

Either use forward slashes or double the backslashes.