Forms Authentication across servers

Bill H

Hello,

I am trying to achieve Forms Authentication using Asp.Net 2.0 across
multiple servers.

I've gotten it to work across applications on same machine. I generated
keys for the machine element and placed it web.config on all machines.

<machineKey
validationKey="key goes here"
decryptionKey=
validation="SHA1"
decryption="AES"
/>

But when I click a hyperlink to the remote machine (Win 2003), it brings me
to the loginurl page on remote server, as if it couldn't authenticate.

Is it not possible to cross domains? What am I doing wrong ? Keep in mind,
this is not a web farm scenario. Two different domains.

thanks
Bill

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

the problem is, that the browser will not send a cooke issued in domain A
to domain B.

If the servers are in different domains you have to use cookiesless formsauth.

The next problem you gonna encounter is, that ASP.NET does not really support
cross machine SSO out of the box.

The returnUrl query string on the login page will alway be relative to the
local machine - you can workaround that by providing your own redirection
logic.