free source for bbs

Matt Garrish

Michele Dondi said:
but *in any case* if he turns out to be willing to improve his
programming/perl skills, then why should he be advised to avoid doing
so a priori?!?

Have you really been paying attention to his posts? Nothing has sunk in in
the entire time, and I can understand why Uri has given up on him. He has
exhibited no knowledge of basic programming skills.

First off, security is lost on him. He patches holes only as they are made
aware to him, and has no idea the dangers his scripts pose. Worse, he seems
to believe that because he can't think of any more bugs there must not be
any.

Second, we all know that he stole the bulk of the code from somewhere and
has been trying to rewrite it as his own (despite his denials). And even
though he has been told numerous times that the code base he is working from
is garbage, he hasn't abandoned it. He uses neither strictures nor warnings
in his scripts (the two pragmas any decent beginner wouldn't avoid), nor
does he taint check the data in this particular one. He has also been told
over and over to use CGI.pm, but from what I've been reading he still hasn't
caught on there either.

I've got work to do so I'm going to stop myself there, but I hope you can
see my point. Should he abandon programming entirely, of course not (and I
don't think that's what Uri is necessarily advocating). Should he stop
posting his code online (and using it on his site) until he learns a lot
more, of course! The problem is he won't listen to this advice, and that is
why he is being told in no uncertain terms what people think of him and his
attitude.

Matt

Michele Dondi

Have you really been paying attention to his posts? Nothing has sunk in in ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the entire time, and I can understand why Uri has given up on him. He has
exhibited no knowledge of basic programming skills.

I think so... well, maybe not really to *all* of his posts, but for
sure I noticed the following ones:

message board system. In any event, I have a feeling that it might be really
exploited soon now that I have a feature to mail posts to you, hopefully
that doesn't happen. I also have a feeling that to get a secure script
written I'll have to start over from scratch.

Ok, I'll take ya'll's advice, I took down the whole bbs, it got hacked too
much. Later,
OTOH

There is no need to abandon programming.

Which is IMHO much a more sensible cmt...

Michele

Richard Morse

Alas not:

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:55:02 -0800

... after mid-day, y'see. Or is that just a British restriction?

Although not, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert, over here in
the USA, April Fools tricks may happen even in the afternoon. At least,
where I was brought up they could. Perhaps this differs around the
country.

Ricky