GAC and memory usage

ph_haenggi

Hello

Currently, we have more than 100 similar web applications running.
Every application has a virtual directory that points to the aspx-
files, so they all use the same files. But every application has their
own dll's in their bin-directory.

With the new version of our web-application I am not sure if I should
put some of the dll's into the GAC. Does it reduce memory-usage, if
you have the dll's in the GAC instead of the bin-directory of each web-
application?

Thanks for answering.

Philipp Hänggi

bruce barker

no. it only saves disk space.

if your apps all start at the same time, you may get some gain for using
the gac and a common jit'd image file. as each app loads the common dll,
it may be cached by the disk system. (this is probably unmeasureable)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)