Galileo RIA Toolkit Release 1.0 Beta is now available

Galileo Support

Java Developers,

Galileo RIA Toolkit Release 1.0 Beta is now available @
www.galileo-riaf.com

What is Galileo?

Galileo was created for software engineers looking for a Rich Internet
Application development alternative to JavaScript-based frameworks, Adobe
Flex, Microsoft Silverlight, Swing, XML-based languages, and server-side
generated user interfaces. Galileo was designed to provide developers with a
fast, easy, and flexible means of developing highly interactive and dynamic,
browser-based Internet applications using a popular object-oriented
programming language. Galileo allows developers to create internet
applications that have the unfettered appearance of traditional websites,
but the rich user interface features of desktop applications by
incorporating the best features of HTML, CSS, and AJAX into a framework
built with a leading-edge object-oriented programming language - Java.
Galileo applications are client-based (require no server-side components)
Java applications that run within a single HTML web page and are accessed
and loaded in the same manner as a traditional web page. They provide all
the features of a standard HTML-based web page plus a host of additional
features that include asynchronous data transfer, advanced UI controls,
application skinning, drag and drop, animation, custom graphics and advanced
XML processing.

For end-users Galileo applications provide a much richer and more efficient
web experience. For developers they offer the opportunity to employ more
traditional software programming practices particularly object-oriented
programming by replacing the maelstrom of technologies currently needed to
develop Rich Internet Applications with a single, object-oriented technology
that is used like a traditional programming framework. By providing a
flexible and easy-to-use API and a comprehensive control library that
includes controls that are common to desktop and rich internet applications,
Galileo allows developers to focus on what they want their application to do
without wasting valuable time figuring out how they are going to do it.

Thanks,

Galileo Development Team

Hendrik Maryns

Stefan Rybacki

Galileo said:
Thanks. Would you mind telling me what OS and browser you're using.
Opera Browser
Version
9.52
Build
10108
Platform
Win32
Operating System
Windows XP
Java
Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.6

Galileo Support

Thanks. The issue has been resolved. As a note, the current version of
Galileo is not working 100% with Opera. This problem has been identified and
will be resolved in a later build. IE works fine and Firefox and Chrome
work fine if you have JRE 1.6.10 installed.

Galileo Support

You're Java developers. We're Java developers. We have a product that we
hope will benefit the Java community. It's free. If there is a more
appropriate forum for sharing this information, please let me know.

marlow.andrew

Thanks. The issue has been resolved.  As a note, the current version of
Galileo is not working 100% with Opera. This problem has been identified and
will be resolved in a later build.  IE works fine and Firefox and Chrome
work fine if you have JRE 1.6.10 installed.

Er, not quite. When using Firefox with NoScript I find that the site
presents a completely blank page. Javascript MUST be enabled. There is
no graceful degradation. This does not bode well for a toolkik that is
supposed to help the developer create web pages. My guess is that the
pages created will depend on javascript in the same way. Consider
gmail as an example of an interface where they got it right. It works
best (i.e. quick and slick) when javascript is enabled, but it still
works, albeit in a degraded way, when javascript is disabled.

I really don't understand why this should matter. I know that
javascript works/behaves subtly differently across browsers and
platforms but surely the whole point of using a toolkit instead of
direct javascript programming is to shield you from that.

-Andrew Marlow