gcc errors

Chris Pesarchick

I installed the Universal Mac OSX binary for Python 2.4.3
When I execute 'python setup.py install' for any of my applications
that I need to build, I get errors like the following:

gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -DHAVE_LIBJPEG -DHAVE_LIBZ -
DWORDS_BIGENDIAN -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers -
I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers -IlibImaging -I/sw/
include -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include -
I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c _imaging.c -o
build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/_imaging.o
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'i686-apple-darwin8-
gcc-4.0.0': No such file or directory

I am on a powerpc and it always thinks I'm on an intel box.
What do I have to do so that it only cares about the powerpc?

Thanks,
Chris

Simon Percivall

It doesn't think you're on an intel box, it thinks you want to compile
universal libraries, since you installed a universal python.

The problem is likely to be that you haven't installed SDK's for intel
as well as powerpc when you installed Apple's Developer Tools. Do that,
and it should work ... I think.

Chris Pesarchick

Thanks for your help.
That is exactly what was wrong.
All I had to do was download xcode 2.2.1 and that installed the
universal sdk.

-Chris