Geezer learns python

notbob

I'm trying to learn python. I'm doing it via Zed Shaw's Learn Python
the Hard Way. Sure enough, 16 lessons in and I've run aground. Is it
OK for a painfully stupid ol' fart to ask painfully stupid noob
questions, here? I'm a long time usenet fan and prefer it to irc.

I've run Slackware for many yrs and know jes enough bash to get the
drift of a slack script, but am no programmer, not by any stretch of
the imagination. I really wanna succeed on this one and have signed
up for an online python class from Rice U. I'd like to finish Zed's
tutorial by the 24th of this month. I'm retired, so have the time to
burn. Thnx. ;)

nb

Tobiah

I'm trying to learn python. I'm doing it via Zed Shaw's Learn Python
the Hard Way. Sure enough, 16 lessons in and I've run aground. Is it
OK for a painfully stupid ol' fart to ask painfully stupid noob
questions, here? I'm a long time usenet fan and prefer it to irc.

I've run Slackware for many yrs and know jes enough bash to get the
drift of a slack script, but am no programmer, not by any stretch of
the imagination. I really wanna succeed on this one and have signed
up for an online python class from Rice U. I'd like to finish Zed's
tutorial by the 24th of this month. I'm retired, so have the time to
burn. Thnx. ;)

nb

All are welcome here. Try to narrow down the focus of the
question, and where applicable, post source code and program
output.

Chris Angelico

I'm trying to learn python. I'm doing it via Zed Shaw's Learn Python
the Hard Way. Sure enough, 16 lessons in and I've run aground. Is it
OK for a painfully stupid ol' fart to ask painfully stupid noob
questions, here? I'm a long time usenet fan and prefer it to irc.

Yep! Either here or on the python-tutor list:

Just remember to give your question a good subject line, and have all
the necessary details there. This is long, but if you want to know how
to "get the most" out of a community like this, consider this to be
the cheat modes. IDKFA!

ChrisA

Michael Torrie

I'm trying to learn python. I'm doing it via Zed Shaw's Learn Python
the Hard Way. Sure enough, 16 lessons in and I've run aground. Is it
OK for a painfully stupid ol' fart to ask painfully stupid noob
questions, here? I'm a long time usenet fan and prefer it to irc.

I've run Slackware for many yrs and know jes enough bash to get the
drift of a slack script, but am no programmer, not by any stretch of
the imagination. I really wanna succeed on this one and have signed
up for an online python class from Rice U. I'd like to finish Zed's
tutorial by the 24th of this month. I'm retired, so have the time to
burn. Thnx. ;)

I say, fire away. I think you'll find a decent reception here.

Mark Lawrence

I'm trying to learn python. I'm doing it via Zed Shaw's Learn Python
the Hard Way. Sure enough, 16 lessons in and I've run aground. Is it
OK for a painfully stupid ol' fart to ask painfully stupid noob
questions, here? I'm a long time usenet fan and prefer it to irc.

I've run Slackware for many yrs and know jes enough bash to get the
drift of a slack script, but am no programmer, not by any stretch of
the imagination. I really wanna succeed on this one and have signed
up for an online python class from Rice U. I'd like to finish Zed's
tutorial by the 24th of this month. I'm retired, so have the time to
burn. Thnx. ;)

nb

You might feel more comfortable on the tutor mailing list

Mark H. Harris

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:03:13 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
{snip}

hi notbob,
Get a good book on python3 programming {Barnes and Noble,
Amazon} and please, start with python (3).

Great book: & fabulous tutorial:

Summerfield, Mark. Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language.
Developer's Library. 2nd Edition. (Upper Saddle River: Addison-Wesley, 2010)

The book is 630 pages, illustrated, and explains everything with very
clear insightful use cases, example coding, and exercises. It is also
not a bad reference, although there are better ones. IMHO if you can
purchase just one book on python programming, this is it.

Also, don't forget that google is your friend. You will find the python
community very friendly (as compared to some groups) but folks can
be short if the questions show little or no research. There are great
tutorials on-line for python too, and very good doc.

Start here: http://docs.python.org/3.3/tutorial/

Also Docs: http://docs.python.org/3.3/#

Cheers
marcus

David

I'm trying to learn python. I'm doing it via Zed Shaw's Learn Python
the Hard Way. Sure enough, 16 lessons in and I've run aground. Is it
OK for a painfully stupid ol' fart to ask painfully stupid noob
questions, here? I'm a long time usenet fan and prefer it to irc.

The python-tutor mailing list exists for precisely those kind of questions:

You might also find it interesting to browse/download previous messages
in the archive at that link.

See you there :)

GlycogenSupporthealth