gem does not find gems

Ronald Fischer

gem install SOMETHING

always produces "Could not find SOMETHING (> 0) in any repository".

This is what gem environment says:

RubyGems Environment:
- VERSION: 0.9.4 (0.9.4)
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM PATH:
- /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org

I have Ruby 1.8.6 running on Mac OS10.4 (Tiger).

Any help highly appreciated.

Ronald

Jonathan Nielsen

This is what gem environment says:
RubyGems Environment:
=A0- VERSION: 0.9.4 (0.9.4)
=A0- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
=A0- GEM PATH:
=A0 =A0 - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
=A0- REMOTE SOURCES:
=A0 =A0 - http://gems.rubyforge.org

0.9.4 is an ancient version of rubygems.

You could try gem update --system but I don't know if I would trust
that with such an old old version... you might want to go to the
rubygems web site, download the latest version and install it.

-Jonathan Nielsen

Luis Lavena

gem install SOMETHING

always produces "Could not find SOMETHING (> 0) in any repository".

This is what gem environment says:

RubyGems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.9.4 (0.9.4)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM PATH:
     - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     -http://gems.rubyforge.org

I have Ruby 1.8.6 running on Mac OS10.4 (Tiger).

Any help highly appreciated.

You're running an old version of RubyGems. Please update.

Try "sudo gem update --system"

If it does not work, try manually update:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/08/04/problems-with-rubygems-find-here-some-handy-tips/