gem update

Jacquie Fan

Hi,all I tried to do

gem update --system in my windows XP box.
then I've got

Updating RubyGems...
Need to update 18 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete
Attempting remote update of rubygems-update
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
install directory
#<Pathname:C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rub
ygems-update-0.9.4> not absolute

but I can see that rubygems-update-0.9.4 is there and is not empty!

anybody has this problem before or has some idea about this problem?

Greatly appreciated!

Bill Guindon

Hi,all I tried to do

gem update --system in my windows XP box.
then I've got

Updating RubyGems...
Need to update 18 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete
Attempting remote update of rubygems-update
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
install directory
#<Pathname:C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rub
ygems-update-0.9.4> not absolute

but I can see that rubygems-update-0.9.4 is there and is not empty!

anybody has this problem before or has some idea about this problem?

You are not alone:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/252820?252516-252827

Jacquie Fan

Did anybody find a clearer solution. Am I going to reinstall rubygems as
well??

Jacquie Fan

Hi Bill

I think I solved the problem. I removed my old ruby completely (1.8.4)
and installed a new one version 1.8.6. then do
gem update
to install (fxruby, hpricot, rake, win32-clipboard, win32-file,
win32-file-stat, win32-process, windows-pr)

THEN I did gem update --system and it worked fine.

Maybe the old ruby version is not working with the new gem version? and
also I am not sure why I needed to do a general update in gem first to
get "gem update --system" working. otherwise it would through out some
error like
"/./post-install.rb failed:
undefined method `file_name' for #<Gem::Specification:0x2e47648>
Try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for detailed usage. "

It might need more explaination

Cheers