getting a timestamp

jp

Hi,

I would like to get a timestamp from a Date object. What is the best
aproach for this?

thank you

Reid Thompson

jp said:
Hi,

I would like to get a timestamp from a Date object. What is the best
aproach for this?

thank you
I think you want a DateTime or Time object, I believe a Date object only represents a date, not a date and
time unless perhaps 'date at midnight' counts.

Mike Stok

Hi,

I would like to get a timestamp from a Date object. What is the best
aproach for this?

thank you

I'm not sure if this is the most effective, but

d = Date.new(2009, 11, 18)
ts = d.strftime('%s').to_i

seems to work for me, giving the timestamp for 2009-11-10 00:00:00 GMT

Hope this helps,

Mike

--

Mike Stok <[email protected]>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.

Sven Schott

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but whenever I need a
serial-style timestamp (like for a filename). I just do this:

Time.now.strftime("%Y%m%d%H%M%S")

jp

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

jp wrote:
represents a date, not a date and time unless perhaps 'date at midnight'
counts.

Hi,

It's enough to have the milliseconds since a given date in the past,
for example java has this:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Date.html#getTime()

It's there anything comparable in Ruby?

Thanks

Reid Thompson

jp wrote:
Hi,
I would like to get a timestamp from a Date object. What is the best
aproach for this?
thank you
I think you want a DateTime or Time object, I believe a Date object only
represents a date, not a date and time unless perhaps 'date at midnight'
counts.

Hi,

It's enough to have the milliseconds since a given date in the past,
for example java has this:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Date.html#getTime()

It's there anything comparable in Ruby?

Thanks
maybe...
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/78420

Robert Klemme

2009/11/19 jp said:
[Note: =A0parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but whenever I need a
serial-style timestamp (like for a filename). I just do this:

Time.now.strftime("%Y%m%d%H%M%S")

Hi,

It's enough to have the milliseconds since a given date in the past,
for example java has this:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Date.html#getTime()

It's there anything comparable in Ruby?

Hint: there is documentation...

irb(main):001:0> Time.now.to_i
=3D> 1258647502
irb(main):002:0> Time.at(0)
=3D> 1970-01-01 01:00:00 +0100
irb(main):003:0> Time.at(0).to_i
=3D> 0

Cheers

robert

--=20
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Robert Klemme

2009/11/19 Robert Klemme said:
2009/11/19 jp said:
[Note: =A0parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but whenever I need a
serial-style timestamp (like for a filename). I just do this:

Time.now.strftime("%Y%m%d%H%M%S")

Hint: there is documentation...

irb(main):001:0> Time.now.to_i
=3D> 1258647502