Getting windows.h -- Where?

RichardOnRuby

Hi,

I just downloaded/installed GCC from MinGW ... worked beautifully.

I downloaded a small Windows C++ source and executable example from
http://www.cplusplus.com/src/. The .exe works fine. The .cpp
#includes a windows.h header.

Is there a publicly available Win32 version of windows.h?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Scott McPhillips [MVP]

RichardOnRuby said:
Hi,

I just downloaded/installed GCC from MinGW ... worked beautifully.

I downloaded a small Windows C++ source and executable example from
http://www.cplusplus.com/src/. The .exe works fine. The .cpp
#includes a windows.h header.

Is there a publicly available Win32 version of windows.h?

windows.h includes lots of other .h files, so you need much more. Get the
free SDK here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...35-c656-4969-ace8-e4c0c0716adb&displaylang=en>

RichardOnRuby

windows.h includes lots of other .h files, so you need much more. Get the
free SDK here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0baf2b35-c65...>

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying. It's nice to hear from an expert.

I'm a retried Widows applications developer (Oct. 2001), but I'm
getting the itch to start programming again. After I posted my
question, I realized I should just hunt on my system, because I've
got Visual Studio 6 installed (and VS.Net, which I never used
seriously.)

So I found the SDK, so I should be able to get it working with GCC. I
want to use the open source stuff because it fits in nicely with the
web development tools I've started to use, like the Aptane IDE,
Firefox browser, Apache Tomcat web server.

Again, thanks for announcing the proper place to find the SDK. It's
stll be useful to know in case I need an updated version.

Best wishes,
Richard

red floyd

RichardOnRuby said:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying. It's nice to hear from an expert.

I'm a retried Widows applications developer (Oct. 2001), but I'm
getting the itch to start programming again. After I posted my
question, I realized I should just hunt on my system, because I've
got Visual Studio 6 installed (and VS.Net, which I never used
seriously.)

Go with VS.Net (2003 or 2005). You don't have to use the .NET stuff,
you can write to the Win32 API, but it's a hell of a lot more compliant
to the Standard than VS6.

Almond

If you need windows.h, get ready.
You'd have to get a truckload of stuff and switch to
microsux development environment. Else you'll be battling
all sorts of things till your nose goes blue.

--
The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
NewsMaestro v. 4.0.4 has been released.

Job list improvements for new installations having no jobs
to begin with.

In some previous releases some class files were missing.
As a result, the program would not run.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Multi-job support and other important feature additions
and various improvements and optimizations.

Web page:
http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

Download page:
http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/Download_Information.htm

Send any feedback to (e-mail address removed).
Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
will be honored.

James Kanze

RichardOnRuby <[email protected]>
wrote:
If you need windows.h, get ready.
You'd have to get a truckload of stuff and switch to
microsux development environment. Else you'll be battling
all sorts of things till your nose goes blue.

That's not been my experience. I need windows.h in the system
specific parts of the environment, and I've had no problems with
it. It means an extra /I option to the compiler, and an extra
library to specify to the linker, and that's all.

Of course, for Windows, I usually do use the Microsoft compiler;
it's one of the better compilers around. (Comeau, obviously, is
considerably better. G++ may be slightly better for the
compiler, but I find the VC++ standard library slightly better
than that of g++. Both are, however, very good.) And I have
no problem using VC++ from UWin or MSys---both very good
development environments for those more used to a Unix
environment. I almost always invoke VC++ from GNU make, for
example (and my makefiles work anywhere GNU make and the usual
Unix tools are installed---including under Windows).

Roland Pibinger

I just downloaded/installed GCC from MinGW ... worked beautifully. [..]
Is there a publicly available Win32 version of windows.h?

It's included in MinGW.

Victor Bazarov

Roland said:
I just downloaded/installed GCC from MinGW ... worked beautifully.
[..] Is there a publicly available Win32 version of windows.h?

It's included in MinGW.

If it isn't, Microsoft SDK is avialable for download from their
web site, IIRC.

RichardOnRails

Roland said:
I just downloaded/installed GCC from MinGW ... worked beautifully.
[..] Is there a publicly available Win32 version of windows.h?
It's included in MinGW.

If it isn't, Microsoft SDK is avialable for download from their
web site, IIRC.

Hi Roland,
It's included in MinGW.

You're so right.

I downloaded WinTut.x. x=cpp, h, exe from somewhere. The exe ran
fine, and I presume it was compiled from the cpp/h. But MinGW's g++
barfed immediately on LRESULT. I leaped to the conclusion that
windows.H was missing. My mistake.

I looked at the MinGW's windows.h. Sure enough, LRESULT isn't defined
in it. Moreover, it's only a fraction of the windows.h that I
remember.

Another responder suggested that what I really need in platform.sdk.
I've got:
Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK
which includes bin, lib and include subdirectories. But the latter
includes WindowsX.h but not windows.h.

Another responder said I need more than mere windows.h. Sounds like I
really need the platform.sdk that I used to have when I had Visual
Studio 6 installed. I think that VS.Net wrecked VS6, but I can
reinstall it.

But I'd be left with the question of how to integrate platform.sdk
from VS6 into MinGW.

Amy ideas. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out the other responses on
this thread.

Again, thanks for your response.

RichardOnRails

Hi All,

I've looked an the MinGW windows.h at little harder and think I'm
beginning to see the problem. The are a "#if defined" there for a
variety of symbols. It's not immediately obvious to me as to which
#define's I should provide. I'll go back to see what MinGW
documentation I can find.

I'm running on a WinXP-Pro/SP2 platform, which seems like a relevant
issue.

Best wishes,
Richard

RichardOnRails

Hi All,

I've looked an the MinGW windows.h at little harder and think I'm
beginning to see the problem. The are a "#if defined" there for a
variety of symbols. It's not immediately obvious to me as to which
#define's I should provide. I'll go back to see what MinGW
documentation I can find.

I'm running on a WinXP-Pro/SP2 platform, which seems like a relevant
issue.

Best wishes,
Richard

Hi All,

OK, all is well. I copied a little MsgBox example from
http://www.mingw.org/docs.shtml#compilingandbuilding.

I built/ran it in a Command Window. All's well.

I apologize for making so much fuss. I retired from computer
consulting just after 9/11, so I'm a little rusty.

Thanks for all your help.

Best wishes,
Richard