Good Div Editor?

?

I am creating web pages using jsp and use lots of divs. Is there a
good editor that will help me match where divs begin and end within my
syntax? I have things nested in divs and sometimes the divs close way
below where I started. It is getting difficult to work with.

Thanks Lex

mbstevens

|| said:
I am creating web pages using jsp and use lots of divs. Is there a
good editor that will help me match where divs begin and end within my
syntax? I have things nested in divs and sometimes the divs close way
below where I started. It is getting difficult to work with.

Thanks Lex
Indent correctly.
Open and close your elements before using them, then
fill in between.

Art

I am creating web pages using jsp and use lots of divs. Is there a
good editor that will help me match where divs begin and end within my
syntax? I have things nested in divs and sometimes the divs close way
below where I started. It is getting difficult to work with.

Thanks Lex
Lex,
You didn't mention what platform that you use for development. If you're
on the Mac, BBEdit (www.barebones.com) has an extensive set of markup
tools and is syntax-aware of HMTL, PHP and CSS structures as well as a
number of other programming languages.

The editor window places markers next to major elements (eg. <head>,
collapse the screen view around the element start/end which can aid in
tracking down nasty tag balancing issues. This is especially useful with
large numbers of nested tags, even better than reformatting with indents.

There are also built-in tools for reformatting and re-flowing the
document with indents.

Of course, good practice is to use HTML/CSS comments to mark the
beginning and end of your major blocks. BBEdit has a "clippings" palette
where you can keep frequently used code snippets such as these which is
quite useful.

Check it out !

Art (not associated with Bare Bones Software)

Andy Dingley

I am creating web pages using jsp and use lots of divs. Is there a
good editor that will help me match where divs begin and end within my
syntax?

Eclipse is the best, as you're also going to be working with a fair bit
of Java.

Almost anything can do XML block matching though. jEdit is lightweight.

You should also use as little JSP scriptlet code as possible and push as
much into tag libraries and expression language instead.

?

Eclipse is the best, as you're also going to be working with a fair bit
of Java.

Almost anything can do XML block matching though. jEdit is lightweight.

You should also use as little JSP scriptlet code as possible and push as
much into tag libraries and expression language instead.

Andy I am not at that technical level yet. But thanks for the
guidance. I will try Eclipse. I currently use notepad plus but this
does not collapse my .jsp page tags. It works great for xml but not
the tags within the .jsp page. This is my problem. I need
development software that does this.

?

[...]

Art I just tried HTML-Kit Build 292 but this version does not seem to
collapse the divs but it does highligh the jsp which is nice. The
HTML-Kit Tool build 300 apparently does do the collapse. I will
search for another apps before I make a financial commitment, just to
see what is out there.

Lex

Andy Dingley

Andy I am not at that technical level yet.

All the more reason to learn. Try reading "Head First Servlets and JSP"

If you're stuck using Scriptlets, then you're writing Java with all the
syntactical requirements and capacity for error that it brings. Tags are
a one-off effort followed by easy coding of many view pages. Expression
language is somewhere between the two: moderately capable for most
tasks, but also far less error prone than Java.

Eclipse has the great advantage of understanding war files and
deployment to the server.

?

I am creating web pages using jsp and use lots of divs. Is there a
good editor that will help me match where divs begin and end within my
syntax? I have things nested in divs and sometimes the divs close way
below where I started. It is getting difficult to work with.

Thanks Lex

SOLUTION

The solution I already had. I use notepad plus, which I highly
recommend. Get it at this location http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

I am editing .jsp pages. When I drag them into the application window
it treated them as regular text documents. What I did was go to the
"Language" menu and choose html document. This took care of every
thing my divs, tables eveything was collapsible and highlighted
properly.