Is being a web dev still a good job ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you for some honest advice. I originally learned to program as a hobby, then got into web development, and worked as a frontend dev for a company making websites for a while.

The thing is, I'm not really good at it and also not 100% passionate about it. For me, it was an opportunity to do something I don't dislike and have a nice, stable job, but I wonder now if it is enough for having a future in this industry.

I hear a lot of voices, saying that the market is saturated, the competition is getting too strong, and you don't have a chance as a mediocre programmer.

I'm not afraid to put in the work to get really good at it. Is it worth it though? As a job, is it still a better option than other career paths where I'd had to get a whole new education or degree for?

Also read many articles but still looking for answers

Web App Development in 2022: A Detailed Guide - JayDevs

Reaction score
Hi,

interesting question...

I can only give my opinion (and my feelings) for the answer which must not be the truth.

First: I never worked as a web dev. My background is Senior C++ developer (and not related to web backend).
Second: what is good and what is bad/not good?

My feeling for the web dev market is, that the voices are more or less right. It is highly saturated. Also there are more and more good tools and frameworks which might reduce the needs for some kinds of front end and also back end developers. Instead you must be familiar with those tools. But less people are needed to use them.

From my opinion web dev is not a bad job. It is a better job like many other jobs (which are not in the IT sector).
But I think, that within the IT sector it is not a very good job, especially as a front end dev.
Also, I think the same is true for ordinary or average Java programmers (as example).
The really good jobs are somewhere else. For example: AI, neuronal networks, quantum computing, auto motive and such things.

So, this is my starting point. What are the opinions of others?

Reaction score
It's only a good job if you have a passion for it. Many people i've worked with in the IT sector don't like their jobs or like computers therefore being a IT employee is a bad job.

There is lots of programmers but not enough good ones. Many freelancer programmers come and go leaving you with having to find another freelancer. Many have terrible values or cost too much money like programmers in the usa.

Reaction score
It's only a good job if you have a passion for it. Many people i've worked with in the IT sector don't like their jobs or like computers therefore being a IT employee is a bad job.

There is lots of programmers but not enough good ones. Many freelancer programmers come and go leaving you with having to find another freelancer. Many have terrible values or cost too much money like programmers in the usa.

Well, you are right, many people don't have a passion for it. But they are responsible for their life. If they don't like to program or work on computer, simply do sth. else.

The thing with freelancers is a little bit different. If they have not the good enough values, they will not find new projects. So, if you do a good job, you can raise your price, otherwise you must lower it.
The thing is different if you are permanently employed. Then you can underperform but still get the fixed salary - but the same is true for overperform until the company is willing to pay more.
The most people offer their work for too low rate. Look at platforms like upwork for example.
Who on earth want get paid 20$ per hour for hard prorgramming stuff??? Its insane. These cheap workers are the reason for others don't find a job or earn enough money!

Reaction score
The problem with the internet is it's all about competition, being the next big thing even if you have to screw others in the process.

Define web developer.

Take artists for instance, artists have been around since the beginning of time, in later years they were paid by companies for their specific talent and style. The computers came along and graphics applications exploded allowing anyone who used a graphics application to call themselves an artist/ graphic artist. Now the market is so saturated with wannabe's that sites like digitalpoint allow members to hold contests for cheap logo designs. Designs that would normally come with high price tag and a contract.

When the internet first started HTML formatters charged 1000.00 per page, now you get a half-a$$ed app to do the same thing. The term "saturated" is an understatement.

You basically just need to create a niche for yourself and don't worry about what the rest of the world is doing. If you like learning it, then learn it. If you like doing it just for fun, do it just for fun. Someone somewhere will like what you do and how you do it.

Reaction score
Yes, being a web developer is still a good job. Web developers are in high demand and have the potential to earn competitive salaries. With the increasing popularity of the internet, the demand for web developers is expected to continue to grow. Additionally, web development is a field that can offer job stability, as well as the opportunity for long-term career growth.

Reaction score
It is, though you have to be able to adapt yourself quickly to new frameworks.... + probably think about mobile app development as well

Ask a Question