Bad programmer and a slow learner needs advices

Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Hye guys!
I am a slow learner naturally. I take time to digest complex things. Because of this , I am also lagging as a programmer. I failed data structure, Oop lab and assembly language during my degree. I passed with a cgpa of 2.8/4.0. Started working in a well reputed company as an Associate Software engineer.
I am not enjoying here tbh. I could have definitely enjoyed if I was a fast learner and was good in programming. Almost all of the tasks which I get assigned are done by the help of my colleagues. I just play a supporting role in that.I believe that even if I work my ass off for the next 2 years, I will still be a mediocre programmer.
This is why I am thinking to switch my career to Business Analyst. Looking forward for your advice!

Joined
Mar 28, 2022
Messages
82
Reaction score
11
I could be a world-class basketball player, if I were just a little taller, ran a little faster, and could throw better hoops...

Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
I think that we should be focusing on our strengths and put ego aside(If he is a good programmer, why I am not). What do you say?

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
79
Reaction score
7
Hye guys!
I am a slow learner naturally. I take time to digest complex things. Because of this , I am also lagging as a programmer. I failed data structure, Oop lab and assembly language during my degree. I passed with a cgpa of 2.8/4.0. Started working in a well reputed company as an Associate Software engineer.
I am not enjoying here tbh. I could have definitely enjoyed if I was a fast learner and was good in programming. Almost all of the tasks which I get assigned are done by the help of my colleagues. I just play a supporting role in that.I believe that even if I work my ass off for the next 2 years, I will still be a mediocre programmer.
This is why I am thinking to switch my career to Business Analyst. Looking forward for your advice!
My opinion is, in programming sometimes things work, sometimes not, nothing bad happens. In business when people make capital decisions depending on Your advices things looks quite doffirent. When You have such good friends mayby You should change nothing? I'm also not a good programmer and in the age of 43 still learning to get some job.

Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
My opinion is, in programming sometimes things work, sometimes not, nothing bad happens. In business when people make capital decisions depending on Your advices things looks quite doffirent. When You have such good friends mayby You should change nothing? I'm also not a good programmer and in the age of 43 still learning to get some job.
That's my point! If someone is not a good programmer, the only reason he should remain as a programmer is because he still enjoys the process somewhere(debugging code, meeting deadlines, putting efforts to write quality code). I am not enjoying that process.Simple!

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Solution is quite simple: Study theory, do small projects (by yourself). Step by step. Repeat over and over. Test, practice, and it will make you understand what you are learning. Imagine a cook who read a recepie and try it only once. Okay, it works but after learning new recepies over and over he will forget the first one. And how to gather all the data so that he can make a progress as a cook? Well, repetition. That's the only way. Hard work. There is no shortcut.

Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Solution is quite simple: Study theory, do small projects (by yourself). Step by step. Repeat over and over. Test, practice, and it will make you understand what you are learning. Imagine a cook who read a recepie and try it only once. Okay, it works but after learning new recepies over and over he will forget the first one. And how to gather all the data so that he can make a progress as a cook? Well, repetition. That's the only way. Hard work. There is no shortcut.
I am not enjoying it! Why you all are not getting it?

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
79
Reaction score
7
I am not enjoying it! Why you all are not getting it?
First question do You understand basics? What technologies do You use? For me, programming gives unlimited possibilities. I started from Pascal 25 years ago and 2 years later started to use C (with some C++ elements). Now I'm practising javascript and it's even cooler. I read people which write their problems with pieces of code which is totaly boring and I wonder why they focus on such things - for me it's waste of time. Now I'm creating webpage that will show people how programming can be interesting, to show all this great things (my school project) (sorry for my bad english- it's not the language I use everyday)

Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
First question do You understand basics? What technologies do You use? For me, programming gives unlimited possibilities. I started from Pascal 25 years ago and 2 years later started to use C (with some C++ elements). Now I'm practising javascript and it's even cooler. I read people which write their problems with pieces of code which is totaly boring and I wonder why they focus on such things - for me it's waste of time. Now I'm creating webpage that will show people how programming can be interesting, to show all this great things (my school project) (sorry for my bad english- it's not the language I use everyday)

I have graduated with a cs degree, so I know more than basics!

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
79
Reaction score
7
When You aren't telling me what technologies do You use and how process of Your learning looked like I can not tell what happend :(You "studied" but not been thinking and now You noticed that in current job it's impossible to act this way? Do You asked Yourself question "why" You don't like Your job? I ask, because what if the same problem will occure in Your next job? Is it possible to make another step in Your cerieer without having such knowledge? It is obvious for programmer to make analysis, even for himself i think. So - do You analyze? If my questions are boring or rude sorry, I'm just very curious of Your case. "all of the tasks which I get assigned are done by the help of my colleagues" - did they explained You why it works the way they did it or just told You what to write?

Last edited:
Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
When You aren't telling me what technologies do You use and how process of Your learning looked like I can not tell what happend :(You "studied" but not been thinking and now You noticed that in current job it's impossible to act this way? Do You asked Yourself question "why" You don't like Your job? I ask, because what if the same problem will occure in Your next job? Is it possible to make another step in Your cerieer without having such knowledge? It is obvious for programmer to make analysis, even for himself i think. So - do You analyze? If my questions are boring or rude sorry, I'm just very curious of Your case. "all of the tasks which I get assigned are done by the help of my colleagues" - did they explained You why it works the way they did it or just told You what to write?
Because it seems boring and repetitive! You cannot force someone to like or dislike something.

Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
9
If you don't enjoy it and coding seems boring and repetitive to you then why are you in a coding forum asking for advice about what to do? Why did you want to learn this stuff to begin with? Be Honest! (with yourself)

You keep judging and comparing yourself to other programmers and that's a big no no! Here's something I learned a long time ago, "It's not how much you know that makes you a master, it's what you can do with what you know that makes you a master." - c1lonewolf

In order to make things fun for you, you start with what you already know and begin creating simple projects, expanding them as you go and imagine them even better. You will never catch up to those who learn faster than you or those that started learning at an earlier age or time. You simply start where you are with what you know. Soon you'll find out that all the stuff you failed in school will become a piece of cake. It will all start to make sense. I'm 54 (I think. I never kept track of my age) and learn something new about programming everyday, good, bad or indifferent.

1. Set a simple goal.
2. Achieve it!
3. Take it to new heights by expanding on it.
4. Always remember that there will always be someone who knows more in order to help you along the way.
5. Have Fun! Don't pressure yourself to be better, because you're already better than you think you are, you just have to see it in yourself.

Hope this helps someone...

Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
[...]

I choose Computer Science because of the job security. I had studied math in my Alevels but I had no clue about programming. I saw CS50 from harvard which seemed very cool to me. Anyhow, the university gave me tough time from the very beginning. I failed courses but somehow completed my degree on time. At the end of degree I knew that I was not a good programmer. But I was able to crack interview of a very reputed company(mayble l was lucky).

As compared to other friends, I am very good in my presentation and interpersonal skills. This is why I am thinking that business analyst would suit my personality+ I'll add some data analyst skills(I am good in sql) or QA(don't like it but it won't be tough)