GUI for multiplatform multimedia project

Guest

Hi everyone,

I posted that question on a python-forum, but got answer, so I ask here.

I'm working on an artistic project and I'm looking for the best
cross-platform GUI solution. The problem is that it's gonna be a tool that
will have to be double-click installable/runnable and pre-installation of
any libraries for end-users is very much like an evil. It really has to be
double-click tool

My first thought was PyQt, because it's a real framework with a lot of
stuff inside (including Phonon) and I know some cross-platform media
software written in C++ QT (like VLC). But on the other hand I've heard
that it's not that easy to make it "double-clicky" multi-platform. Is that
true?

Another thing that matters for me is ease of integration with libraries
like OpenCV.

I will be VERY thankful for any help. I'm SO tired googling the problem
(it's like weeks now!!)

Best from Poland,
trzewiczek

CM

[...]

I don't know this for sure, but I would be surprised if any of the
widget
toolkits gave you much more trouble than any other when making your
app
into a bundled executable.

I have made wxPython apps into a Windows .exe file easily using
GUI2Exe,
which is an excellent GUI interface (written in wxPython by Andrea
Gavana)
to a number of the executable bundlers: py2exe, PyInstaller, py2app,
cx_Freeze, bbFreeze. Some of these are for Windows, some for Mac,
some
for Linux.

wxPython apparently works with OpenCV:
http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/wxpython

While you're Googling you might want to be aware of any legal
concerns with py2exe and distributing dll files (if there are
any).

Diez B. Roggisch

Hi everyone,

I posted that question on a python-forum, but got answer, so I ask here.

I'm working on an artistic project and I'm looking for the best
cross-platform GUI solution. The problem is that it's gonna be a tool that
will have to be double-click installable/runnable and pre-installation of
any libraries for end-users is very much like an evil. It really has to be
double-click tool

My first thought was PyQt, because it's a real framework with a lot of
stuff inside (including Phonon) and I know some cross-platform media
software written in C++ QT (like VLC). But on the other hand I've heard
that it's not that easy to make it "double-clicky" multi-platform. Is that
true?

I don't know exactly what you mean with that, but I doubt it's easier
with anything else.

Another option might be pygame + simple OpenGL though, if you are
planning on heavy use of Canvas-like things, that might be good enough &
less heavyweight.
Another thing that matters for me is ease of integration with libraries
like OpenCV.

That has little todo with the toolkit. You need some
image-converting-code, I've written such for Cocoa, to convert OpenCV's
RGBA to OSX ARGB. But the last resort would be to save the images from
OpenCV and read them using Qt (or whatever toolkit you use in th eend.

Diez