Hash method for ftp

Carlo Filippini

Hi
how can I assign the output of the hash method to a variable?
From the documentation:

hash ( [FILEHANDLE_GLOB_REF],[ BYTES_PER_HASH_MARK] )
Called without parameters, or with the first argument false, hash
marks are suppressed. If the first argument is true but not a
reference to a file handle glob, then \*STDERR is used. The second
argument is the number of bytes per hash mark printed, and defaults to
1024. In all cases the return value is a reference to an array of two:
the filehandle glob reference and the bytes per hash mark.

So basically my problem is to assign everything that I write on a file
to a variable. Obviously I can not wait until the ftp is finished and
then open the file again.

Thanks
Carlo