Help configuring Perl with Apache 2

James Willmore

That's not the problem. The directory my .pl file was in and the
.pl file itself were already set to executable. The problem was
that I didn't have Options +ExecCGI specified in the right place to
override the "no overrides" put on the root /var/www/html directory.

Yes, it is :) 403 errors are caused when Apache can _not_ access a
file _or_ a directory. Please take the time to research this in an
Apache USENET group _or_ read the documentation. I speak from
experience on this ... because I have done the same thing ;)

Just putting in "Options +ExecCGI" is a "quick fix". You _may_ be
able to run script from the directory indicated, but this is because
the permissions are set to 755 (drwxr-xr-x).
Technically, a chmod on a directory doesn't even have to do with the

configuration of Apache ... just the directory attributes of your
filesystem.

In any event, this is not Perl.
In the future, post to an Apache USENET group -or- visit
http://apache.org

There are_lots_ of documents there that will aid you, as well as
resources to avail yourself to.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Adult, n.: One old enough to know better.

James Willmore

Hehe, someone had said that to me before, but I didn't know what
they were talking about. I didn't realize it was literally a
command you could type into the command line.

http://perldoc.com
No command line required - just a browser :)

http://search.cpan.org
Again, no command line required - just a browser:)

You could also use the 'man' command on *NIX systems. 'man -k
<keyword>' if you use Linux of have the GNU version of 'man'
'apropos' also works well :)

On Windows, the ActiveState install comes with HTML files that have
the documentation :)
Anyway, I didn't use perldoc because I wanted something searchable.
So I looked for the Perl CGI.pm manual online - which I found - and
came up with the following gem:

-no_xhtml
By default, CGI.pm versions 2.69 and higher emit XHTML
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/). The -no_xhtml pragma disables this
feature. Thanks to Michalis Kabrianis <[email protected]> for this

feature.

I don't know what a pragma is, but by following the examples, I was
able to work it into my program and now I'm using HTML 4! Also, it
got rid of the annoying slashes after text problem (ie <br />
instead of just <br>) ... I was wondering what was causing that!

<sigh>
http://www.w3c.org

Has the standards for HTML and a lot of other "stuff" for use on the
Internet (ex HTML, HTTP, XML, etc.)

The "annoying slash" is part of the standard for XHTML. It's
_supposed_ to be there. It can also be used in HTML 4.x.
"Read" is only one of the many steps of the "learning" process.
There's also "ask" and "listen".

Also, I forgot my Perl book at home --- GRRRRRRR. I'm having my
parents ship it to me.

Thanks for the help, material :)

You _don't_ need the books ... they are written from the Perl
documentation :) They _aid_ you in learning, but _don't_ rely on the
as the sole source of information. Otherwise, you'll be broke and
kicking yourself latter when you find that the documentation for Perl
has _most_ if not _all_ of what you need. Again, from my experience.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
ADA, n.: Something you need only know the name of to be an
Expert in Computing. Useful in sentences like, "We had better
develop an ADA awareness."

Tad McClellan

John Bokma said:
A *plonk* is as off topic as the original post and hence adds to the noise.

For one thread's worth, while perhaps preventing many more such threads.

Just ignore off topic posts and don't reply in any way.

No thank you.

If you litter in the park, I will ask you to not do that anymore.