Help! Fixed width table with a 100% width image in it is assuming theimages intrinsic size, although

satya.komatineni

I have struggling with this for 2 days. I searched far and wide in
google and msdn etc. No luck. Hope one of you may have seen this. I
am
seeing this in ie6 and ie7

What I want
**************
1. A table with a single cell that is say 100px wide, laid out from
left to right.
2. I want to put an image in it and set its width to 100px as well

What I expect
******************
I see the image that is shrunk in width to 100px wide.

Instead I see
*******************
1. I do see the image shrunk to 100px
2. But I see the width of the "td" increased to 500px which is the
size of the actual image

Here is the source code for it
*************************************
<head>

#test {background:blue}

</head><body>
<image width="100%" src="http://hiddenlakegardens.msu.edu/
seasonal_interests/fall/fall1.jpg">
</image>

Here is the URL you can use to see the blue background of the
stretched "td"

http://www.satyakomatineni.com/akc/display?url=DisplayNoteBodyURL&reportId=2400&ownerUserId=satya

Does anyone know how to be able to say the width of an image to 100%
while restricting its size using a container above such as a "td". I
can fix this by fixing the image width, but then I have to deal with
margins etc.

Your help is much much appreciated.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

"Subject: Help! Fixed width table with a 100% width image in it is
assuming the images intrinsic size, although it does shrink the image"

Please choose Subject text that fits in the average newsreader's header
pane, and is concise, please and thank you. About four to six words
should do. (This is not Google. This is USENET.)
I have struggling with this for 2 days. I searched far and wide in
google and msdn etc. No luck. Hope one of you may have seen this. I
am seeing this in ie6 and ie7

(Do you test in modern browsers as well? Firefox? Opera?)
What I want
**************
1. A table with a single cell that is say 100px wide, laid out from
left to right.
2. I want to put an image in it and set its width to 100px as well

...assumes an image 100px wide, correct?
What I expect
******************
I see the image that is shrunk in width to 100px wide.

Instead I see
*******************
1. I do see the image shrunk to 100px
2. But I see the width of the "td" increased to 500px which is the
size of the actual image

Aha. As suspected, you need to resize the image. Doing that in HTML
usually skews up the display of the image anyhow. Besides drastically
adding to the download time of your page.
Here is the source code for it

Don't post code; we don't have your images. Post the URL to your best
effort test page. Someone might also have a much better way to do what
you are attempting, which looks like "using tables for layout" a la 1996
or so.